General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord 2.0i V-tec Petrol - Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Default 1999 Accord 2.0i V-tec Petrol - Help!!!

Bought the Accord two weeks ago.
It has genuine 36,000 miles and judging by interior-exterior condition, engine bay etc, the car has been garaged and rarely used by one very careful owner.

Here's the problem - at low revs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, it feels strangled for power and spluttery.
When the revs hit 3000 and also in higher gears - 3rd to 5th - it drives like a dream aand handles like knew, exactly what you'd expect from a 2.0 147bhp Vtec.
I've had it serviced, changed filters, plugs etc and also driven by a mechanic who reckons it's a fuel problem.
No engine management lights on.
The mechanic suspects possible fuel pressure sensor or fuel related problem and is confident the poor performance at pickup doesn't feel like an electrical fault.
He also said it's recently had an oxygen sensor fitted - maybe previous owner tried and failed to fix fault.
Before I hand it over to the mercy of the Honda garage, I'm hoping someone else has fixed a similar problem.
The car looks brand new, has an electric pack - sunroof, all round electric windows, cruise control etc.
Hope I get it fixed becvause I already love the car after only two weeks.

Also, auto function on drivers' electric window isn't working - tried the reset re onwers' manual, but not working. Guess it needs replaced.

All help greatly appreciated - Glasgow, Scotland, UK.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
Does the malfunction warning light come on? ("Check-engine" light in USA, not sure how it's labeled over there)
If so, are there places there where they'll read the stored error codes?

If the fuel system is the same, then there is no fuel pressure sensor. There IS a fuel pressure regulator at one end of the fuel rail. To really check that you use a fuel-pressure gauge.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 PM

No warning lightts at all.
It does have an engine management light on the instrument panel, but that's not lit up at all.
Spoke to some guys at the Honda garage today and they suggested booking it in for a free health check.
They also said the pipe connecting the ERG valve to the exhaust manifold can become blocked and cause a gaas buildup, which can trigger the sluggish accelaration when driving away 1st to 2nd etc.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

When were the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor changed? They could be past due.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Full service last week - plugs, fuel/air&oil filters.
Distributor, rotor arm and plug leads only done 36,000 miles - although they are 11 years old.
Mechanic doesn't think it's electrical. Said distributor, rotor arm leads etc all look brand new - not even dirty!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Just because of their age, you could check for arcing from the distributor cap or plug wires. With the engine cold, and complete darkness (4am??).

Open the hood & turn off all the lights. Start the engine & go around to look for arcing. A dull blue glow indicates something's leaking through the insulation. That can happen even if the insulation looks fine. Besides, it doesn't cost anything for you to check this yourself.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

ps what's the screen name? Is it a play on Colnago (bicycle)?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 PM

It's the name on the baseball cap Wesley Snipes wears in the movie White Men Can't Jump - don't ask!
Thanks for the tip.
Honda garage reckons may be blocked pipe between EGR valve and exhaust manifold.
Frustrating. Guys in Honda parts department can't suggest any obvius parts/sensors etc that wear out.
My mechanic doesn't think it' electrical, as he reckons the fault would be there all the time thrugh every gear.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Clogged EGR maybe? Seems more common in older Accords, where those passageways were more narrow. Still, I think there's something in the DIY section about cleaning the EGR passageways.

Spark leakage from the wires is kinda funny. Different operating conditions (RPM, throttle) it gets more difficult or more easy to ignite the mixture. So that's why it might not act the same all over the range.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks Jim.
Had a long talk today with Honda service manager.
He's confident it can be fixed.
He reckons older models like mine, which have done low annual mileage, might just need a tune-up.
He suggested valve clearances have probably never been adjusted or the VTEC might not be working properly.
It's booked in for next Friday. I'll post and let you know the verdict.
Genuine thanks for your help - thomas