General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord Dashboard Lights/Ignition Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Default 1999 Accord Dashboard Lights/Ignition Question

Hi Folks,

I've searched these forums and haven't found anyone having exactly the trouble I'm experiencing.

When driving my 99 Accord (in great condition, 94K miles), sometimes the dashboard lights will just come on for no apparent reason!
It seems it's the Open Doors Lights, Generator, and Oil lights.

From what I've read, it appears I'll need to replace the electric portion of my ignition switch.

Here's my real QUESTION (two-fold):
How can I be certain that's the fix for this problem?
AND
My car's had the Ignition Switch recall done.
Per the below text post from partsgeek.com, is that Post true and which part number do I need????

"Models that have had the ignition switch replaced under this recall should use switch #35130-S84-305 instead of the original 35130-S84-A01 switch."

Lastly, is this an easy fix for a DIYer, or something that should be left to a mechanic (my guy wants to charge me $65 Labor for replacing it)????

Thanks,

Flash
Durham, NC

Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 AM

They will do that if the alternator is bad. Common on V6 cars not very common on 4cyls. Go to autozone for a battery/alternator test.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the response....and uh-oh! That's really bad news.

Mine is a 6 cylinder, and I noticed this issue started soon after I had the alternator replaced!

I'll go to autozone and have them check it, but darn! looks like I got a bad replacement alternator!

Aaaargh!, and thanks I'll update this thread once I either resolve or get more info on this.

Thanks again,

D Flash
durham, NC

Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Default Further Question...

Thanks Mr. McNoople for your response.

This car continues to have the lights flash on while driving.

I've taken it to autozone and their test simply shows that the alternator is charging (well, we already knew that 'cause the car's been starting all along, even in this cold weather!).

I guess the question is whether the alternator can be bad even if it's working, but that it's just bad enough to make the car exhibit this weird symptom....but my mechanic feels if the car is properly charging then the alternator must be good, but there's may be a ground-fault problem somewhere; but he can't find it.

QUESTION: (esp to Mr. McNoople!) IS THERE SOMETHING LIKE A GROUND PROBLEM WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR BEFORE SIMPLY REPLACING THE ALTERNATOR????????
The alternator has a one-year warranty, but I'd still have to pay my mechanic something to replace the part; of course he's willing, but he wants me to make the call as to whether we swap out for a new alternator!

Thanks for any response,

D Flash
Durham, NC

Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM

Fun little fact about many alternator testers. For the most part they really only look at voltage. We have a $1200 (handheld) and a $1800 battery/alternator tester here and for testing alternators we trust our old snap-on testor. Most modern alternator testers rely on the car to supply the load for the test. This sounds like it would be a good idea, but you cannot apply a large enough load to find actual max alternator output. Most of them have you turn on the highbeams and blower and take a reading at idle and again with the engine revved up. The problem is most alternators should have an output around 100 or so amps and you can't cause a load that large with lights and a blower.

So what all this means is that your alternator could be only charging 15 amps and if the voltage is within spec with a load it will pass the tester. When you have your alternator tested ask them how many amps the alternator is putting out. For a 98-02 accord the spec is 80-90A (depends on model) for 2.3L and 100A for the v6 models.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Thanks for another great response. I'm gonna have the alternator tested again to give me better info before taking the plunge and paying for the labor of replacing the alternator!

Also though, is it your response that there's little chance this is merely a loose ground somewhere, etc???

Oops, 4:30, time to stop typing and leave work!

Thanks,

Flash

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Fun little fact about many alternator testers. For the most part they really only look at voltage. We have a $1200 (handheld) and a $1800 battery/alternator tester here and for testing alternators we trust our old snap-on testor. Most modern alternator testers rely on the car to supply the load for the test. This sounds like it would be a good idea, but you cannot apply a large enough load to find actual max alternator output. Most of them have you turn on the highbeams and blower and take a reading at idle and again with the engine revved up. The problem is most alternators should have an output around 100 or so amps and you can't cause a load that large with lights and a blower.

So what all this means is that your alternator could be only charging 15 amps and if the voltage is within spec with a load it will pass the tester. When you have your alternator tested ask them how many amps the alternator is putting out. For a 98-02 accord the spec is 80-90A (depends on model) for 2.3L and 100A for the v6 models.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Default Dash Lights Stay On

My 2000 Accord is doing this too. Flashy, or anyone, did you ever get to the root of this problem?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM

I wound up replacing my alternator.

That immediately fixed the problem. I had to pay for the second labor to install, but the parts house gave me a new part under warranty

Originally Posted by JoeJoe
My 2000 Accord is doing this too. Flashy, or anyone, did you ever get to the root of this problem?