General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 accord engine warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I've got the 1998-2002 Helm shop manual (for 4-cyl) and that code isn't in the list... ? That includes the F23A1, F23A4, and F23A5 engines.

oops - edit:
That thread is about 7th-gen Accords, this thread is about 1999. Assuming the description is correct for P0443, it sounds to me like you need to look at either the circuit (including fuse) or the purge control valve itself. There would be different codes for things like gas cap or fuel-tank pressure.
I think I remember reading on here (in the archives thru a search) of a gentleman who spent a week or 2 going thru every part of the system only to find a partly broken wire under the sill plate under the drivers door. He had tested the valve, did a smoke test on the fuel tank and gas cap/filler hose, along with checking and replacing vacuum hoses, driving the car with a VOM attached so he could see the ECU sending a signal to the purge valve, even replacing the purge valve (after testing it), and a host of other diagnostics (he was glad he wasn't paying a shop to do it all). Then he found that broken wire, fixed it and the problem went away.
If you're in a state that requires emission testing, you might want to pull the #13 fuse (passenger side) to clear the codes, and not drive more than 10 miles before the test so it doesn't come on. Fortunately my state doesn't test, and I just let the light glow at me (it's been coming on for almost the 3 years I've had the car, for that same problem). I clear it every so often (to check for other codes), and after 3 starts and shut offs or about 12 miles it'll come back on for that code. It doesn't effect the running of the car, but it's just a PIA that the light is on. The common fix is to replace the valve and solenoid. On my own car I replaced a section of steel line that had rusted out in multiple places, but I'm betting I missed some more along with some rubber/plastic tubing too. I bought the valve years ago, but the screws holding it on are all sorts of rusty, and might need more than just the valve replaced by this time.