General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 European questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Tag
Unregistered
Default 1999 European questions

Hi guys, new member, new to Hondas.
Found a really nice 99 Accord 2.0 vtec exec with decent mileage and excellent history (basically new everything in the past couple of years, really well looked after). Bought for a shocking £1200.

Loved it till I was smashed on passenger side. Now there is sub-frame/chassis damage and the car is a write-off.
Didnt claim on insurance as it wouldnt have worked out fiscally.

Now Ive found a cheap 99 1.8 vtec se with a few mechanical issues and hoping I can replace parts from my damaged 2.0. What do you think? Possible?

I live in the UK and have a right hand drive model. Dont know if this changes things...

Thanks in advance guys!
-T

Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1999 European questions

Im sure a lot of parts will change over, but the engine parts may not be interchangeable.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Tag
Unregistered

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Thats the thing, Im not overly concerned about body / interior stuff like that. I want to know if I can switch out the clutch/ gearbox/ engine parts etc. 1 by 1 or even if I would have to change a whole lot of mechanical stuff all at once.

-T

Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like youre talking about taking the whole 2.0 vtecdrivetrain & putting it into thenon-damaged body?

Grab the engine computer too, so it stays with its own engine. Wiring harnesses (on the engine) for the VTEC spool valve, etc. should come along.

Based on owning a 1998 USA Accord, I believe the VTEC engine has added terminals, but none of the terminals/wires from the non-VTEC engine are moved or missing. We can HOPE that the CARs wiring harness is the same & includes all wires needed for either engine.

Non-engine stuff (shock absorbers, brakes, suspension links) should all swap over pretty easily. The non-VTEC car may have rear drum brakes instead of disks??

Still, youre in for a big tedious project... Have fun!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Tag
Unregistered

Thanks for that.
Fortunately the GB versions of accord, I dont think any of them come in non VTEC flavour.

I cant find ANY info online about EU engine or other part numbers to compare with different engine sizes.

Im not very handy with car mechanics but Im assuming you mean I wont be able to chop and change between different engine's (the 2.0vtec to 1.8vtec) drivetrain parts?

So if anything went badly wrong with the 1.8 engine / parts, likelyhood is I would have to replace the entire drivetrain if I wanted to use the parts from my 2.0?

Better start looking for a similar 2.0 then...

Thanks guys.
-T

edit: as far as I know, the 1.8vtec is entirely the same car except for the engine. So all other parts like suspension, brakes, wheels, steering racks etc.etc. are the same.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM

You can probably mate the transmission to the other engine and vice versa, since they're probably the same family of engines. Can you do us a favor and find the code stamped on the engines? It should be on the front, just below where the cylinder head and valve cover meet near the cooling hose from the cylinder head to the top of the radiator.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I misunderstood. When you said the one had mechanical issues, I figured you would find it easier to swap the whole mess.

Sincetheyre both VTEC, theres probably a LOT of parts that can just swap over.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Tag
Unregistered

I might call or email Honda and ask...

I can only get the 2.0 engine number as that is the one I own. Ill do it in the daylight tomorrow. Im only thinking about buying another accord as I have this one sitting in a shed not doing anything...

Prob not the question to ask in here... but Im trying to save money here. I need to get back on the road soon. I can spend about £700 ($1000 ish) on a new vehicle.

Do I...
Buy cheapo Accord (<£500 ideally) and keep mine for parts
OR
Dismantle mine and sell in bits (engine in particular is really tidy) for about £500, if Im lucky, then buy a completely different vehicle?

Its a conundrum!

-T

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Keeping the car & parting it out seems like the way to recoup as much money as possible. But its a real pain, a mess that takes up a lot of space, and if that kind of tinkering is not your favorite hobby, its frustrating. Then you have to get someone to dispose of the hulk after youre done.

Third possibility:
Buy a cheapo Accord & swap your real nice engine into it. Pick a car with a good body but sketchy mechanical bits. Better yet, a nice body with a blown engine might be had for really cheap.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Parting out is not the most fun. I spent countless hours tearing my car apart after work...

Pros: Good money

Cons:
- Time
- Hassle
- Space
- Hard to find buyers... until they break something

I still have at least $500 worth of parts in my garage from my last car... only sold about $150 of it.

Quick Reply: 1999 European questions