General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Default 1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder

Im having trouble with my heat, I have none. Here is what I have done so far. The temp **** inside the car was not opening or closing the control vavle on the firewall. I bought a new valve and put on it anyway and left it unattached only opening and closing it by hand. Well that didnt work. So I got the water hose and ran it thru the upper and lower hoses on the firewall thru the heater core and got plenty of flow. Well that didnt work either. Then I put a new thermostat in it and that hasnt worked either. Both of the hoses going into the heater core are getting hot. Any suggestions? Does ECT sensor have anything to do with it? Thanks alot

Old 12-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not ECT sensor, that just tells the fuel-injection about the engine temperature.

Presumably your temperature gauge on the dashboard is coming up normally?

Did you check for a broken temperature-control ****? Pull it off the shaft, & make sure it's actually twisting the shaft. Then (with the key switched ON), does it move the cable that connects to the water valve on the firewall?

I suspect something is broken or disconnected with the air-mix doors. IIRC, down in the left-side footwell, remove the panel that's alongside your right foot. Somewhere down there is a small motor that does 2 things. It pulls & pushes on the cable that connects to that water valve. But it ALSO moves a flap that directs air to go either through the heater core or around the heater core.

Normally, you can turn the key ON (don't start the engine), and turn the temperature-control ****. Then you can listen for that little motor running, moving the cable & air-mix door.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Default 1999 Honda accord 4-cylinder

JimBlake, I was assuming me opening that valve manually and making sure water is going to the heater core was all it was too it. Does the temperature **** do more than open that valve. Im just assuming thats all it did? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Temperature **** sends a command for that motor to run one way or the other.

That motor in turn does both the water valve and the air-mix door. If you had gotten heat when you manually operated the door, then it may have been as simple as a broken ****. So that's why I suspect either:
1 - the motor isn't working. Electrical disconnected, or non-functioning motor.
2 - if the motor runs, then maybe the linkage to the air-mix door is broken or disconnected.

If the air-mix door stays in the cold position, then you don't get heat even if the heater core itself is hot.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture of the heater unit - all the way forwards from the console.

#9 is the cable out to the water valve.
#6 is the motor you want to check out.
There's plastic levers & stuff that operate the air-blend door, so maybe something's disconnected. If you're lucky it's just disconnected & not broken.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder-1999-heater.gif  
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Ok thanks alot I will check that out this afternoon. One thing I do know is that the temperature control **** is not moving the wire that connect to the water valve. Does this tell you anything more? Thanks for all your help. Learn something knew about Hondas all the time.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

That doesn't tell me more. Pull the **** off to make sure whether it's turning it's own shaft. That's the most simple kind of fix & that happened to mine years ago.

If the **** isn't turning the shaft, then the air-mix door is stuck on cold, just like the cable is stuck in one position. The air-mix door explains why you don't get hot air when you manually open the water valve.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM

The **** is turning, I will pull the panel and check the air mix door to see if somethings broken or disconnected this afternoon. If its not its bound to be that motor your are telling me about. Just in case it is the motor, would that be called air mix door motor just in case I have to buy one? Thanks for helping. I let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.
Here's a couple pages about the system.

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder-21-08-heater-circuit.png   1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder-21-09-motor-control.png   1999 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder-21-20-motor-test.png