General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 honda accord stalls when accelerating

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
penske
Unregistered
Default 1999 honda accord stalls when accelerating

hello - i'm trying to get a little help with my car. i have seen so many post about accords stalling, but none seem to have the same symptoms as mine.

I have a 1999 4cyl 4dr Honda accord with 100K+ miles on it. Today it was hard to start (started on the third try) and then idled without a problem. after it warmed up put it in reverse and it traveled back without touching the gas without a problem until I pressed the gas pedal - then it shuddered and stalled.

the car still idles fine, and i can press the gas pedal gently to get it up above 3000rpm (even higher) without a problem. but if i press the gas "normally" (harder) it will sputter out and stall in any gear (park, reverse, neutral, drive).

I've had minor stalling problems in the past the came and went (maybe once a year or once in 2 years) but they would never repeat. this problem now won't go away.

weather was rainy and in the 60's today if that matters, anyone have ideas where I should start troubleshooting? can anything be ruled out since the car idles ok, but just won't respond to a "hard" acceleration?

thanks for your help

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
rwolfy
Unregistered

Penske,

I have a 1999 Honda Accord and I posted what I believe might be similar to your problem yesterday. Look for the following post: 99 Accord sputters and stalls when it rains (and read what I posted below)
If the problem is moisture getting into the distributor like I think my problem is, I tried one thing this morning that seemed to help. Even though the temperature this morning was in the mid 50s, l started the car to let the warm up before I drove it to get the engine temperature warm enough to dry out any moisture in the distributor. The car drove fine this morning with no hesitation during acceleration. This is compared to last night. After driving the car home and having it sit for a couple of hours the car started right up. But then it stalled out 3 times on a 3 mile trip to the store.

99 Accord sputters and stalls when it rains

I have a 1999 Accord with 125K miles and I am trying to solve a problem that my mechanic and I have been working to solve. When it rains, I sometimes have trouble getting the car to turn over first thing in the morning and when it does start, the car will sometimes hesitate or even stall out after I drive a short distance. (Of course every time I drop the car off at the mechanic he has yet to experience this and I even let the car sit at his shop overnight to see if a cold, wet night might reproduce the condition.) In my experience, once the engine is warmed up, the car seems to run ok. Except for last night when I left work. It was pouring down rain when I started the car, which by the way, started right away. But after driving down the highway at 55 mph for about 3-4 miles in the pouring rain, I could feel the car misfire 2 or 3 times to the point where I felt the need to downshift (5 spd manual) to prevent a stallout. This morning the car started right away but stalled out going 25 mph up a steep hill about 2 miles into the morning commute. It was wasn't raining this morning but it had rained hard the day before and car body was covered with condensation and rain water. Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be water getting into the distributor and then the engine eventually drying out the moisture when the engine temperature goes up?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Try spraying a fine mist of water on running cold engine at night. If you see sparks from spark plug leads or around distributor cap, then replace these components.

If spark plugs are over 50K miles, replace them.

good luck