General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 with p1259

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Default 1999 with p1259

Originally Posted by stubs
I've got a thread-in compression tester but it's on a hose. No attachment for the deep plug wells. I'm really busy with work right now so it may be heading to the shop. Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering if you ever figured out the problem? I have a '99 with a VTec and it just spit the P1259 code after I had my clutch replaced. The car isn't running like it should and I am at my wits end about the whole situation. So far I have had the timing belt replaced, changed the knock sensor, and had a new clutch put in (all of these were separate issues found before P1259 showed up). The next issue is my ignition switch which needs to be replaced and now this P1259 issue. I am seriously strapped for cash after having the clutch done and I am really starting to wonder if it's even worth it for me to keep this car because I don't really have a trustworthy mechanic and I obviously can't do the work myself, and have been told that this issue may be my ECU going bad.

I'm should really think about taking up mechanics as a hobby....it would save me so much money!

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I moved this into a new thread.

The 1259 is for the vtec. Start simple, check the oil level first.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Poorman is spot on I would change oil and use a honda filter also

Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Default Thanks guys!

Hey guys thanks for the input!! I am a habitual oil checker because I own a Honda lol!! I used to have a 94 civic before the accord and she did the same thing, consumed at least a quart per week, sometimes 2 during the summer months.

You're probably gonna laugh at me but my CEL/engine sputters was such a silly, simple fix that took all of about 5 minutes! There are two plugs attached to the VTec solenoid, right?, one for oil pressure and the other one ......well.. for something else obviously....both switches were plugged in properly, but the wires leading to the "something else" plug had been pulled loose and weren't connected to the plug. I honestly think these wires must have been loose even before I took the car in to have the clutch replaced two weeks ago because my car seems to have much more power than when I first purchased it 2 years ago.

Now I just have to save up to replace my ignition switch and I should be all set. When I replace the ignition switch will it come with new keys for it or can the old one still be used?? jw

Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

You should call your local dealership about the ignition switch. There was a recall on some 98-02 accords for the ignition switch. Your car may be part of the recall. It is worth the time to call and find out.

If you plan to DIY the ignition switch, all you need is the electrical portion. The mechanical part with your original key will be remain. I would also get two more security bolts to replace the originals. You could use two bolts from the hardware store. The bolt head is small, so you may need something that would use an allen wrench on it.

The hardest part of replacing this part is removing the two security bolts that hold the switch to the steering column. The bolt head is round like a rivet, but the bolt is just threaded. You need to use a punch on the side to knock each bolt loose. I think there are some YouTube videos on how to change the switch. Do a google search to find them.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You should call your local dealership about the ignition switch. There was a recall on some 98-02 accords for the ignition switch. Your car may be part of the recall. It is worth the time to call and find out.
I already tried the recall and unfortunately my car wasn't part of the group, which kinda sucks since my car obviously has an ignition switch problem. Either way, the electrical part seems cheap enough and easy enough to install so that's my next step.

Thanks again for all your help!