General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 '03 accord service

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2.0 '03 accord service

Hi

Im going to do a quick service on the accord this weekend will i find anything difficult of will it be quite straight forward?

I'm attacking the oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter and spark plugs.

Ive seen 1 topic that says that my pollen filter should be easy as its a 7th gen model.

I bought this car so i didnt have to keep on putting my head under the bonnet (unlike my 205) and it has surpassed my expectations. So i have no idea where anything is under the bonnet.

Are the drain plug and oil filter easy to access/remove?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

UK Accord is a different car than our USA Accord. But the pollen filter is probably the same. Open & empty the glovebox. Unhook it so it swings all the way down on it's hinges. Filter is in a tray that comes out from the air duct.

I think the 2.0 it would be a K-series engine?? Oil drain plug is easy, on the bottom pretty much like any engine. Oil filter is a bit tough - on the back side of the engine, your driver's side. Bit of a reach from any direction, but maybe reach into the wheel well alongside the axle. Steer one way or the other to make that easier?

My 2003 had individual coils on each plug, so there's no distributor or wires. Plastic cover in the middle of the valve-cover exposes the coils.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Spot on there Jim. All was quite straight forward apart from the oil filter.

It took a good while experimenting with a few different types of oil filter removal tools and i was close to just stabbing it with a screwdriver (the good old fashioned way) to get it off. It finally came off with a 3 pronged claw type when i found a big enough space to get a click out of the ratchet. I then got nicely covered in the oil as there seemed no way of catching this when unscrewing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get this off easily for future reference??

Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

I usually went from the top. First removed a bracket for the power-steering hose, so I could push the hose away. Using a stepstool alongside the R-F tire, so I could reach down there. The filter tool that worked for me was like a big channel=lock pliers with great big round claws.

If I had a lift (yeah, right) I'd probably remove the wheel & reach in alongside the axle.

I figure with all that oil dripping down, the right side of the subframe is never gonna rust.