General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 different power window switches???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2 different power window switches???

'96 Honda Accord Sedan
So I went to the yard today because the driver's window wouldn't go up. I get there and pull the motor from another 96 honda accord with power windows. While I was at it, I pulled the switch box (all four window switches) just in case. I finally got the motor replaced and was able to put the window down but once again, it WILL NOT go up. So I go to change out the switch boxes and notice it's different. The one I had originally had a white bottom, the other one had a black bottom and the three screw holes didn't line up. I put the plug in and it controlled the window both up and down, but it won't fit in under the arm rest because it can't be screwed in to the original armrest on the door.

I'll go back tomorrow probably and pull the armrest to put it on and see if that solves the problem.

Fun fun...I also had to replace the VSS today, and that IS NOT an easy task on these cars. I could barely get my hand in there let alone a ratchet...

Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Original switch may be repairable by disassembling and cleaning. Contacts get dirty.

Yes, that forward bolt on VSS is a PIA to reach. I used a 1/4" ratchet which was barely able to engage.

good luck

Old 03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

gosh I thought it is pretty easy to get to the VSS.
You did remove the intake first?
Also mine is a 5 speed, perhaps it is easier to get to than an auto.

So OP, have you yet wondered if the switch was the problem the whole time and you may have done much extra work changing out the regulator? It is always best to try cleaning the switch first. You can pop them apart, be careful as there are often tiny springs that fall out, use some contact cleaner and fine sandpaper on the copper contacts.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM

On the auto, the VSS body blocks access to the forward retaining bolt. Ratchet has to operate over the VSS to access the bolt. It's doable, but not fun.

good luck

Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It's possible that I did more work then needed, but the window was slow to move either way, so I think it needed it. I think it probably is just the switch connection though. I took it apart earlier and got to the circuit board. Didn't want to remove that though so I left it the way it was. However, about 30 minutes ago, the pass window wouldnt roll up with the drivers side, I had to lean over and put it up with the pass control. So I'm sure the contacts are filthy and messed up. It's got a rubber guard around the switches, does that just come off allowing access to be cleaned underneath? Or are oh talking about cleaning the circuit board?

We took the VSS off a manual and put it on an auto. It's much harder to do on an auto, but unplugging it does help and allow a lots more room. Along with unhooking a line (I think to the thermostat housing)...

Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM

You'll need to remove the window door panel and master switch panel to access the switches from lower side.

good luck