General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord losing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Default 2000 Accord losing Coolant

I have a Accord 2000, EX. It has 127K on it.
Recently i have beening refilling the coolant often.
Yesterday after it gave me a burning smell when i was driving home, i checked under the hood and found that the coolant tank was nearly empty. I don;t see any leaks in the garage atall.

What should i do ? any advise is really appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Is this only the plastic expansion reservoir tank? Have you been checking the actual radiator? It's important that the actual radiator be kept full.

If something unique happened to allow a bunch of air into the cooling system, it's possible that what you're adding is now getting sucked into the radiator. Still, that doesn't answer the question of where it went in the first place.

You have to find where it's going. If it's not leaking on the ground, it still has to be going somewhere.

- Oil getting a thick chocolate-milkshake appearance?

- Exhaust smell sweet like antifreeze?

- Maybe it only leaks while the car's moving so you don't see it on the garage floor?

Are you going to work on it yourself? You can rent/borrow a tester at places like AutoZone. It's like a bicycle pump with a special head that attaches where your radiator cap goes. Pressurize the system COLD so you can search for the leak. When it's hot, sometimes it evaporates as fast as it leaks.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanks for your help. No, i have not checked the Radiator yet, i will check today.

So, if the radiator is not full, can i pour anti-freeze to it ?

I checked the oil today and it looks normal. Except for one time, i have not smelled anything.

Yes, if possible i will work on it.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, pour antifreeze into the radiator as well as into the reservoir. If the radiator was low, you'll also want to bleed out any air that's hanging out at the thermostat. (Can I assume it's a 4-cyl engine?)

Follow the lower radiator hose back towards the firewall - that's the thermostat housing. There'll be a bleed valve - open it up to release trapped air. Hondas don't like to have any air in their cooling systems.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Sorry for the later respone, i really appreciate your help JimBlake.

The radiator was not low, should i still try to release trapped air.
One more thing, once in a while, i smell so thing different in the car. And then it goes away.

Should i look for something else. ??????

Thank You.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trapped air...
When the engine is cold, squeeze the large radiator hoses. You'll probably hear the little rattle-pin in the thermostat. But you should NOT hear any sloshing sounds - that would tell you whether there's any air in the system. You can feel & hear the difference when it's completely full with no air.

You have already had the radiator open so you recognize the distinctive smell of anti-freeze. Is THAT the smell inside the car? If not, what does it smell like? Musty smell might be mold or mildew in the air ducts. You might even be occasionally smelling exhaust from the car in front of you...?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 PM

I will try what you have suggested and let you know.

Thanks.