General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord Manual revs high after I step off the clutch before settling down

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Default 2000 Accord Manual revs high after I step off the clutch before settling down

If this looks familiar, it's because it was posted on another site, before I found out that there was much more traffic here.

For the last month, when I shift gears (at 2000 or 3000 RPMs), more often than not RPMs will shoot up as soon as I let go of the clutch and go to 4000 or so and seems to spin close to, but not quite, freely (very little power). If I keep driving as if everything is ok, the RPMs will start to go back down and the car will feel like it's moving as expected for the speed I'm driving, though sometimes it goes up and back down again. When I shift again, the same thing happens.

It's almost fine going downhill, it's pretty bad going flat, and up hill, I'll make it, but there will be a major burning smell and I'll be moving pretty slow if I started from a stop.

Thinks I've done / seen:
  • The transmission oil is new and full. I had the problem before and after I changed it.
  • I was able to stall the car by holding the break while going from neutral into 5th.
  • I've got the console off and the cables look ok. They don't seem to have any unreasonable slack under the hood, but then again, maybe I'm imagining what reasonable is.
  • The clutch fluid level is fine
The manual I have mentions oil on the clutch plate from a leaky gasket. The symptoms seem to match that, but I would appreciate a better educated assessment than I can give.

If it's not that, any tips / suggestions would be appreciated. I'm good with DIY, but I'm also still pretty new with DIY (replaced calipers / disc breaks. bled the brake system, rebuilt the starter). Are there any other potential problems anyone can think of before I have to get to the clutch plates?

Thanks.
Sal

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds very much like a worn out clutch disk; time for a clutch job.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Default Dito

Clutch time, the hill pulling with burning smell says it all!
Go with a Spec brand clutch, they cost more but worth it. eBay has good prices and don't be afraid to offer $20.00 less or so...

Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the verification guys. Now all I need to do is decide whether to tackle it myself or not.