General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Accord rough idle and heavy oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2000 Accord rough idle and heavy oil usage

2000 ULEV-VTEC 2.3L 137,000 miles

I've had a chance to look over the Accord today and got more information from my girls including that it's using a ton of oil.

Last week my wife and daughters were traveling and the Honda's CEL came on. They had it checked and it was in the 1253-59 range. They didn't write it down but they were told it said VTEK System Malfunction. It was cleared, they tightened the gas cap because my wife says that normally fixes it.

They just got home but it had come on again shortly before that and they told me it's idling rough. I checked and it was PO303 #3 misfire. I cleared it and started it up and it did indeed idle rough and the CEL flashed after 30 seconds or so. The code now is 1399 which I have no reference in my book for.

Here are the symptoms it's showing:

Rough idle barely runs. Runs strong at speed.

Alternates between codes P0303 Cylinder #3 misfire and P1399 (I don't have a listing for this one). It will only set codes at idle.

The plugs were white and chalky like it's running lean or firing hot.

It's using about 1.5 quarts of oil every 1000 miles with no evident leaks and no smoke visible.

Throttle body is very clean at the opening and the throttle plate facing out is spotless. The back side of the throttle plate is covered with thick black grimy oil.

There was a little oil between the outside lip of the throttle body and the inlet duct and a little oil inside the duct where a line coming from the intake manifold attaches.

I checked the PCV line between the valve and the intake and it was a little grimy but not like it had oil dripping out of it.

The tail pipe is jet black and very sooty

Last edited by stubs; 01-15-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: added information
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

The 1399 is a random misfire.....If the plugs are bad suggest replacing along with the pcv if it is due....what about the rest of the tune up items? Are they due?

The 1259 will "usually" be set for low oil.

Do you have, can get, rent a compression tester?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'd like to find out where is all the oil going? I figured the mileage on Google maps and in reality they used 4 quarts over 950 miles. I put a quart in before they left and gave them the rest of the 5 qt jug. They finished it on the way.

I would expect to see the plugs all fouled if it was going through the cylinders and there's no leaks underneath and no smoke. The coolant is normal looking. The backside of the throttle plate is definitely oily and grimy. The plugs look like a lean running engine but the tailpipe is black and sooty. I'm thinking the rough idle is from the throttle body being so dirty.

Before I dig in deep, can a bad PCV be causing this? A couple people have said, Oh yeah it can suck the oil up. I kind of find that hard to believe.

Rings or head gasket? How do you tell the difference with a compression check if one comes up low?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stubs
Before I dig in deep, can a bad PCV be causing this? A couple people have said, Oh yeah it can suck the oil up. I kind of find that hard to believe.

Rings or head gasket? How do you tell the difference with a compression check if one comes up low?
Yes, a PCV can cause this. Personal experience, at one point I think I was putting more oil in 89LX than gas......ok that is a little over kill but you get the point. No leaks, no smoke from tail pipe...pulling my hair out, finally pulled the PCV and replaced.....fixed . Hope it is the same in your situation.

There are a few additional steps/tests that can be done to figure out if it is rings or gasket.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright then. It's worth a try. New PCV and remove and clean the TB.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Also check PCV hose carefully for grime blockage, kinks or loose flaps that might cause blockage.

When PCV is blocked crankcase vents into air intake duct (line from air intake duct to valve cover). There will be oil in the inlet air duct and heavy oil consumption.

good luck

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It seems fairly evident that the oil is being sucked into the intake. I've attached some photos of the inner TB surface and the plenum. I'll check all the lines to see that they're clear and replace the PCV.

Is there anything else that can cause this kind of fouling? I want to try to take care of this once and for all.

Why is it backed up against the throttle plate like that? The smudge is from reaching in with my finger before I took the TB off. Can it be coming out of the passages where the TB meets the plenum?

I'm thinking I need to take the plenum and intake off to clean them. This is really a mess. I can only imagine what the valves must look like on the intake side surface.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nice pics. This is what happens when crankcase vapor/oil reverse flows from valve cover to intake air duct.

Normal operation, the crankcase is partial vacuum and air flows from the duct into the valve cover, and normal crankcase vent is out of valve cover through PCV hose, PCV and into intake manifold. Note, some reverse flow will usually occur under heavy acceleration where manifold vacuum is low and crankcase pressure is increasing due to combustion gases bypassing piston rings. PCV valve will "check" flow whenever crankcase pressure > intake manifold.

If you never had reverse flow the throttle body and IACV would stay very clean, which doesn't happen.

A coked layer on the interior surface of the intake manifold is normal due to PCV input and occasional reverse flow.

If PCV is functioning and PCV hoses open, then it may be that piston rings are allowing large bypass volume, leading to reverse flow more frequently (engine is badly worn). Overheating, failure to change oil, hard driving, etc. are usual reasons.

good luck

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How many miles are on the car, I did not see that info posted yet.

I just fixed my car which was burning around a quart per 1,000 miles - $3.99 PCV valve.

I would change that, Seafoam the car - and see how it goes from there.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

2000 ULEV-VTEC 2.3L 137,000 miles

I tested the compression today. My tester just has thread in hoses so I picked up a Harbor Freight tool with a long rigid tube to get into the spark plug wells in the valve cover. I was mainly looking for a comparison so I figure it would be fine for that.

#1- 90 lbs
#2- 0
#3- 90 lbs
#4- 90 lbs

I only ran the new plugs for about 7 miles. #1 has slight black on the rim below the threads, #2 has a little more and 3-4 are perfectly clean.

It looks like rings, head gasket or a valve. I'm thinking head gasket or rings with the oil consumption.

Any input is welcome.

Quick Reply: 2000 Accord rough idle and heavy oil usage