General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 EX: Intermittent Stall on start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That is a pretty generic code. You may want to run some fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank.

The one item I can think of is to clean the EGR ports. Yours may be partially clogged. Copy and paste the link I have below so you can look at the TSB.

driveaccord.net/PDF/egr_port_clogging.pdf
Yeah, thought that code was generic, but there were no other codes and the CEL didn't even come on.

I actually did the port cleaning about 2 years ago. I thoroughly cleaned it out and then checked it again only about 6 months ago, all was ok. I even replaced the EGR valve 6 months ago.

I reset the code and so far it hasn't come back on, but I have only driven it another 25 miles. I did run some Sea Foam in the fuel just 4 days ago.

I saw a thread from another site that said winter gas is the problem. A guy talked about how winter fuel formulations atomizes after a short cool down in cool weather. I never heard of this, but both times this has happened has been in cool rainy weather, after a short stop.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Ok, I have the same exact car and same exact problem with the exact same CEL/random multiple cylinder misfire.

The things that I am uncertain are wrt to tune ups as I bought this car very recently and history not much known except that he has done Timing Belt/water pump change.

I did get the EGR clean up done but did not change the EGR valve as I wanted to phase it out on cash. I have a insufficient EGR lift detect code..

I used Chevron Techron 2 times.

I see this cough symptom approx once is two weeks now.
Also recently I noticed that my RPM suddenly drops and picks back up(as a result, car kinda jerks a bit)when I remove my foot off the throttle while going at a constant speed instead of doing a smooth transition. Do not know if this is a seperate from the above cough up and throat clear issue.

Also I am very sure it is no way related to cold weather as it happened to me when weather was normal and after the drive(30-40min) and park(20-30min) and restart in perfect weather.

Any help will be appreciated. (sorry did not want to start seperate thread for the same issue; Hope you dont mind)

Last edited by kingofudupi; 12-17-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add More detail
Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've got this exact same problem. Started all of a sudden today on my 2000 EX V6. On startup it runs so rough it won't idle without my foot on the gas a good bit. After a minute or so, I can drive it and it idles fine when stopped. Cut it off and let it sit for a short while and it does the same thing all over again.

Did either of you figure out the problem?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, this is going to be difficult....three people in the same post with "sim" issues at different stages of testing.

1) Rule out tune up items if they are due or are close to it.
2) Rule out egr and egr port(s). EDIT: know that an egr valve "stuck open a little" will cause these to be hard to start or run bad at start up.
3) Know that some have reported "vapor lock" issues with the 6th gen (98-02) Accords The vapor lock seems to show up after driving the car until warm, then shut off for a short period of time, then upon restart either have a hard time restating or running bad, then clears up after a short period.

Not sure if I answered anyone question or not........hard to follow, sorry.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Wow, this is going to be difficult....three people in the same post with "sim" issues at different stages of testing.

2) Rule out egr and egr port(s). EDIT: know that an egr valve "stuck open a little" will cause these to be hard to start or run bad at start up.
3) Know that some have reported "vapor lock" issues with the 6th gen (98-02) Accords The vapor lock seems to show up after driving the car until warm, then shut off for a short period of time, then upon restart either have a hard time restating or running bad, then clears up after a short period.

Thanks for responding in such detail. I did find a P1399 error code "Misfire in any cylinder" with an OBD II scanner.

If it is the vapor lock issue, how is that fixed?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Florida_Frank
Thanks for responding in such detail. I did find a P1399 error code "Misfire in any cylinder" with an OBD II scanner.

If it is the vapor lock issue, how is that fixed?
Re-read your post and with what I can tell from your description....rule items out in the order I posted.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212

Thanks again for your help. My problem cleared up after changing the spark plugs and cleaning the throttle body.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 AM

Hi Chester,

Can you tell us if you eventually resolved your Intermittent Stall problem?

I'm curious, because I have exactly the same model and problem.

I checked codes at a repair shop that specializes in Hondas and they got zero codes. I asked what else it could be, and they suggested it might be a starter problem. Hmm... I asked them if that would code, but they said it would not. I asked someone else, and they said if it was a starter, it would probably just fail, and code.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread, because at least I know I'm not crazy.

Hondude

Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 AM

I just cleaned out the Throttle body with Sea Foam Cleaner, and threw in a half pint of Sea Foam. Hopefully that works.

I did not code at the repair shop, so they ruled out spark plugs, and misfiring, and timing, which I thought would have been the culprit.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondude
Hi Chester,

Can you tell us if you eventually resolved your Intermittent Stall problem?

I'm curious, because I have exactly the same model and problem.

I checked codes at a repair shop that specializes in Hondas and they got zero codes. I asked what else it could be, and they suggested it might be a starter problem. Hmm... I asked them if that would code, but they said it would not. I asked someone else, and they said if it was a starter, it would probably just fail, and code.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread, because at least I know I'm not crazy.

Hondude
Does the starter motor turn the engine over but it just won't start or does the starter motor do nothing (maybe click or just nothing?).

Quick Reply: 2000 EX: Intermittent Stall on start