General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 EX: Intermittent Stall on start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Talk about piggy back on a thread....I also have a 2000 v6 accord and have been experiencing this problem. It's happened a couple times in the past, but today it has been especially bad. Lots of good info on this thread, I have the EGR code, have had it as long as I've had the car...after reading, I know many more things to investigate. Quick question, where is the port where I can check my fuel pressure and what pressure is this car supposed to hold?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

There isn't a "service fitting", you have to tee into the rail where the line attaches.

For the 98-00 v6. At idle with the pressure regulator vac hose connected 32-40 psi, disconnected 41-48 psi.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 EX: Intermittent Stall on start-6th-gen-v6-fuel-pressure-testing.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
There isn't a "service fitting", you have to tee into the rail where the line attaches.

For the 98-00 v6. At idle with the pressure regulator vac hose connected 32-40 psi, disconnected 41-48 psi.

So that explains why I couldn't find it....thank you very much for the info and diagrams.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM

I am still having this problem with my 2000 Accord. It's been to multiple garages and there has been no resolution.

The first garage cleaned the fuel system and then replaced the fuel pump. That wasn't it. A Honda master mechanic that's a friend of a friend said Honda fuel pumps don't go bad. He's changed 5 or 6 in 25 years.

The dealership said they couldn't duplicate the problem and replaced the main fuel relay. That didn't have any effect.

The third place ran out half a tank of gas trying to duplicate the problem and said "sorry".

The fourth place replaced the egr valve and cleaned the egr ports and the problem is still there.

My mom know's a mechanic who checked the coils and said they were fine but said that 5 of the plugs were loose to the touch. He says that if it's still acting up that I need to replace both oxygen sensors. That's not going to happen.

At this point if the car still has the same problem I'm looking for a new used car. I still like my Accord but I drive a lot for work and I need a dependable car which I don't currently have.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Default Update on My 2000 Ex

Well, I took my Accord to the garage and had them fix drive belts as it started squelch, but that didn't solve the intermittent stall. So the garage went through everything and found that a spark plug was loose. I asked why didn't that show up in code? They didn't know, only that the plug was pretty dirty. So I had them put new NGKs. I didn't think that would solve it, but since then, I had only one stall in the past 2 months. Not sure why it stalled then, but I've been waiting for the duplicate error and knock on wood it hasn't arrived yet. Otherwise, it's been running smooth, so far...

Old 11-08-2023, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RS250 Chester
Got a 2000 EX with 180K. Engine still runs great, but over the last few weeks the car has stalled a couple of times on start.

On both occasions, the car is already warm, but was parked for no more than 20 minutes. When starting it idles very rough and sputters as you press the gas. Once the gas is released the idle drops and the car stalls. The car will start immediately, but again it will be rough. But if I keep the gas on, it will eventually clear and the car will idle fine and the car drives normal. Almost like the car needs to clear its throat.

I assume this is a fuel delivery problem, like a fuel pump or relay. Any suggestions.
I am currently having this exact issue... Did you ever figure the issue out?

Old 11-08-2023, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is over 13 years old and there were 3 different people on here with the "same' problem. There were suggestions to check for loose spark plugs, clean the throttle body bore/plate, clean EGR ports, run some fuel system cleaner. I'd suggest starting a new thread and let us know what items you've tried on your car so far.