General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Accord Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Default 2000 Honda Accord Transmission problem

I bought a 2000 Honda accord 79k original miles. I think it has the recall transmission death. I bought it knowing this for a good price it is very clean and basically got the car for nothing. I tried lucas in the trans but i am still geting the slip from 1-2 and 2-3 very slight slip but a nasty jar when it comes to a stop, or shifting into drive from park. I think it may be the torque converter from what i have read thus far. Is there anyway to tell if i can get by with just the $200 dollar part torque converter? Or is it probably going to be the entire transmission? Also, does anybody have the torque converter R+R procedure. I am planning on doing the work myself in my shop after hours i used to be a mechanic but now do welding because its alot easier.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2khondaaccordflip
I bought a 2000 Honda accord 79k original miles. I think it has the recall transmission death. I bought it knowing this for a good price it is very clean and basically got the car for nothing. I tried lucas in the trans but i am still geting the slip from 1-2 and 2-3 very slight slip but a nasty jar when it comes to a stop, or shifting into drive from park. I think it may be the torque converter from what i have read thus far. Is there anyway to tell if i can get by with just the $200 dollar part torque converter? Or is it probably going to be the entire transmission? Also, does anybody have the torque converter R+R procedure. I am planning on doing the work myself in my shop after hours i used to be a mechanic but now do welding because its alot easier.

Thanks
Check the fluid level make sure it's full. Does the trans fluid look or smell burn ? Did you scan for codes ? Normally if the torque converter failed, the particle from the converter will containminate the whole transmission. In some rare cases that you can just replace just the converter itself. To replace the converter you will have to pull the tranny out of the car.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'll bet the trans is trashed, check for fluid leaks at the inboard drive axle seals also.

I will put it mildly;
You couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me the keys to a 98-02 Accord with an auto trans.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Well my father had trans fluid flushed before he dropped the car off so I can't say if it was burnt. I am aware I have to pull the trans out to do the torque converter.my friend an old honda mechanic says you can diagnose a bad torque converter by hand. I just don't want to **** in the wind doing all the work to swap out the torque converter and have it be the whole trans