General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord EX Coupe Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Default 2001 Accord EX Coupe Brake light issue

Have a 2001 Accord EX Coupe.

Issue: When brakes are applied Spoiler brake light lights up, but the 2 rear brake lights do not.

What i have done: Checked fuses, replaced brake pedal sensor, check bulbs (looked good), took new bulb tried it in each socket.

Questions: Does anyone know what the issue might be? Or anything else I can check? Anyone have the same issue?

Thank you for your time.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Is this an OEM spoiler or aftermarket? I am asking as it may relate to the wiring.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM

It is the factory spoiler. That comes standard on all EX V6 coupe's.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Since you already replaced the sensor, checked fuses, and bulbs.

• Did you use the correct bulb number (i.e., 3057)? Some bulbs look the same; but, have different number of filaments.
  • I believe the left and right brake lights are on a different ground than the high mount brake light (which the spoiler is now using). The ground for the left and right brake light may be in the trunk area, behind the plastic trim covers. Check the ground.
  • The wiring insulation of the spoiler wiring harness spoiler may have rubbed through and shorting the other bulbs, while still having the spoiler light work. See this link:
2001 Accord: warning lights come..I depress the brake pedal..stays - JustAnswer

For the spoiler harness, I wouldn't take off any spoiler mounting bolts, just check the wiring harness. See the spoiler installation instructions here, regarding the routing of harness:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...cord2Dwing.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Ok i will check this out tomorrow. So you are saying i should not remove the left side spoiler bolts like the first link says and just inspect the wire harness instead?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me to remove the bolts on the left side of the spoiler. You can move the harness wiring around a bit to check, as the spoiler installation instructions shows the routing is pretty straight forward. Good luck.

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Checked the ground they all looked good.

Bulb number is correct.

I have checked the fuses, which ones run the lights?

checked all around the wiring harness area's all looked good and were completely wrapped in the protective casing.

Completely unhooked the spoiler connection under the trunk lid and connected it to the stock real center brake light. Did not help.

also wanted to note that when the headlights are on, all bulbs light up, except no brake light extra brightness when brake is applied.

So i don't know if it is a ground or short issue.

Any ideas?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to see this thread, similar problem with a resolution:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...working-12649/

If the poster's fix in that thread doesn't fix it, then follow the deserthonda's advice to check the brake failure sensor and that fuse. The high mount brake light (use for your spoiler) circuit doesn't run through the brake failure sensor, while the left and rear brake lights circuit does run through it.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the link.

I think my wiring is a bit different than the 2000 model. There is no plug that separates the spoiler and the rear tail lights. the wires separate and than there is a plug. unplugging that plug would simply unplug the the rear tail lights, not the spoiler.

I am going to pick up a test light tomorrow and start there, will post results.

Thanks for the help again.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I would check the drivers side under dash fuse (#9 - 7.5amp). As stated it is the fuse that has the "power" via the yel wire into the brake lamp failure sensor. As stated the "center" light gets power from another source.

Ground for the "running" lights and the brakes lights is the same (G601) so since the running lights are working I do not think this is a ground issue.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Accord EX Coupe Brake light issue-6th-gen-brake-light-cir.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2001 Accord EX Coupe Brake light issue