General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord Rear brake question and another

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Default 2001 Accord Rear brake question and another

2001 Accord EX, 5 speed, just passed 206K. Stupid question here. Is it unusual or not for rear brake pads/rotors to last almost 3 times as long as front pads/rotors.

I was going through my records after I noticed some grinding of the rear brakes, looked like the rotors were getting ground a little. I went and checked and it's been over 80,000 miles since they were done last (at least that I could find in my records).

My other question is not for a Honda but my "other car" (read - ugly minivan the wife drives and I never do), has a brake problem. She heard a pop and then grinding when braking. I just replaced the pads/rotors front/back and they were all still fine. I took the front calipers off, hers have 2 pistons in each. The side that wasn't grinding, the pistons only move 3/8" or so when compressed. The grinding side, they move over an inch when compressed. Safe to assume the caliper failure was the "pop" and I should replace them?

Thanks!!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

"The side that wasn't grinding, the pistons only move 3/8" or so when compressed."
I am not sure what you this means. Move in or out? If a piston is very hard to compress then it is usually time to replace it. If you are talking about the piston will only come out 3/8" that is a problem but you have to determine if it is not getting enough(air in the system or bad brake line) fluid or the caliper is sticking.

Rear brakes should last a lot longer than fronts.

I don’t think the brakes are the popping noise.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM

I was assuming the rear brakes would last longer so that is confirmed, getting about 90K between changes (except when I took it to the dealer at 30K and said I needed new ones - that was before I started doing all the work on it). Time for a change either way.

Thanks for the info on the calipers, brake lines need to be bled so that is probably why one side is different than the other.

You are also correct on the popping sound, one of the bolts that holds the caliper frame to the knuckle failed and popped. Unfortunately that is not a Honda but a Kia and evidently the bolt is the rarest of all bolts in the world. Dealers didn't have it in stock (kind of stupid if you ask me), auto parts stores didn't have it, even fastener places didn't have it. Had to special order it from a dealer and get "critical" shipping, otherwise "we'll get it to you in a week", dealers!!!! no wonder I do my own work.

Thanks again

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Those big bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle are usually special higher-strength & hardened & whatever other magic they do. Honda is probably the same way, & I wouldn't use a generic fastener for that. As far as not being in stock, I never had to get one from a Honda dealer, so I don't know if they're any better off...?

Once you get that straightened out, keep an eye on the caliper slide pins so they don't begin sticking to repeat the problem.

There's a lot of folks lately complaining about rear brakes wearing out way too fast (like 2007 & newer Accords). In the old days, it was not unusual for rear brakes to last 2 or 3 times longer than front.