General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Default 2001 Accord Transmission Problems

I just bought a 2001 Accord 2 weeks ago. (165k miles) The previous owner said that he replaced the transmission a little over a year ago, but it still shifts a little hard when the weather is cold.

Sure enough, about a week after I bought it I didnt let it warm up enough and it wouldnt shift into 2nd gear and then the CEL came on. Later that evening I let the car warm up and it shifted perfectly.

I took the car in to find out what the CEL was, and it said that the transmission fluid was low.

So.. 2 questions.

Should I be worried about my transmission, or does it always have problems when you dont let it warm up enough?

And second, noob here.. Where is the damn transmission fluid located? I couldnt find it anywhere to check it.

Thanks.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Alot of thoes cars do not shift in to 2ed very well when cold change transmisson fluid use only honda fluid. Drain plug is under car use a 3/8 ratchit to remove it also use a new crush ring you will need 3qt. fluid fill is on frount of tranny. yellow cap on stick god luck1

Old 12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

I don't like to be the barer of bad news, especially for someone that just bought a car, but the 98-02 accords had catastrophic automatic transmission problems. The v6s had it worse than the 4 cylinders(I don't know what yours is), but the 4 cylinders were by no means exempt. There are stories of people replacing the tranny 4 or 5 times over a rather short amount of time.

I would get the fluid changed, and let the car warm up before driving. Also I would take it easy on it, as its more of a when not if the transmission will go.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 PM

New here, but not a spammer. What live2rice says is correct. I bought a 2000 accord LX (4 cyl) new in 2000. I now have 128k on it. I had the original plus 3 replacement transmissions in the car. I take great care of the car - synthetic oil, flush cooling system annually, K&H filter, plugs at 50k, etc, etc. Car looks like new. The transmission currently in my car now has 30k miles on it and I decided to flush the transmission (purchased the honda tranny fluid and washer). I put the ratchet in the drain plug and could not budge it. I tapped the plug and reinserted the ratchet and could not budge it. I used the jack handle as an extension to the ratchet and pulled for all I was worth and the ratchet busted. The square end of the ratchet (a craftsman) is now in the drain plug slot and I'm not sure how I'm going to get it out. I have always flushed my transmissions in my cars, but this is the first flush for the honda as it never made it long enough for a transmission flush on any of the previous transmissions. I plan to take it to a shop (with a new drain plug in hand just in case) and see if they can get it out for me. But I can tell you what the service manager told me - as good as honda engines ARE, their transmissions ARE NOT. I think if you got a bad one in the 1998-2002 model you will likely always have problems with it. In any event, good luck.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Thank you guys for your input.

What are the signs of a transmission thats about to go? Its been almost a week since it had a hard time shifting, and since then I always give it plenty of time to warm up and its been shifting extremely smooth. Should I still be worried? What else should I lookout for?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Watch for slippage and delayed shifts, harsh or clunking shifts, failure to up shift at higher RPM, failure to downshift at a stop, difficulty or failure going into or out of park/reverse gear. If the engine/trans is cold, i would let the car idle and allow the trans fluid to warm up a few minutes before driving it.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Ok thanks.

One last question. The CEL came on saying that my transmission fluid was low, however when I checked it, it was fine. Should I be worried still? Or just continue driving as normal?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

What was the actual code? "P" something,,,,,

Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Hi, I just found this thread. I just purchased a 2001 Accord and I have the exact same problem. When it warms up, it's great. I know the thread is old but, did anyone ever have feedback on this kind of situation?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by bonneycc
Hi, I just found this thread. I just purchased a 2001 Accord and I have the exact same problem. When it warms up, it's great. I know the thread is old but, did anyone ever have feedback on this kind of situation?
The tranny in my 2000 SE started slipping in the summer of 2014. I had just had some work done on it by Honda and suspected something they inadvertently did was the cause of it. I added trans fluid and it improved. It remained drivable but slipped a lot in the colder weather. I eventually had a used tranny from a salvage yard installed. All is well so far, even in sub freezing temps, and I take care to warm it up before driving. I drive this car easy, like your grandma would, and hope I don’t have any trouble. But I am already looking at options on another replacement, if that becomes necessary. Hopefully, I will have another car before it does. I have heard of using a transmission cooler on these, but know hardly anything about it. Hope all works out well for you.

Quick Reply: 2001 Accord Transmission Problems