General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by bonneycc
Hi, I just found this thread. I just purchased a 2001 Accord and I have the exact same problem. When it warms up, it's great. I know the thread is old but, did anyone ever have feedback on this kind of situation?
I purchased a 2001 Accord 4 cyl in 2021, at about 190,000 miles for $1500. Drove perfect looks good a/c everything fine! Transmission was fine then 10 months and maybe just a few thousand miles later it started having delayed hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. Stopping fast was a problem, especially in stop and go traffic and stop signs. The transmission had a knocking noise and was also creating a slowly worsening shaking / grinding issue during hard stops as time went on as well. I had to basically drive it like a granny or else the transmission would protest.

I managed to continue driving it like this for 2.5 more years, even taking it on several cross-state road trips adding almost 30,000 miles with the transmission having problems. Then this January at 221,000, it wouldn't shift above 1st gear anymore.

Took it to the transmission shop, and they told me it needed a rebuild including a new torque converter and it was $3300 with labor to fix it. The transmission has been working fine now, I've only put 1500 miles on it since the repair. But now my front end suspension is giving me issues that I didn't have before the transmission repair, its all real loose and I need to take it in a have it looked at now.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:54 AM
HJU
Default 2001 Accord Transmission

Thanks, I had to replace the ECM. That fixed it. I had to get it on Amazon as a used device.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by RiceBonito
I purchased a 2001 Accord 4 cyl in 2021, at about 190,000 miles for $1500. Drove perfect looks good a/c everything fine! Transmission was fine then 10 months and maybe just a few thousand miles later it started having delayed hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. Stopping fast was a problem, especially in stop and go traffic and stop signs. The transmission had a knocking noise and was also creating a slowly worsening shaking / grinding issue during hard stops as time went on as well. I had to basically drive it like a granny or else the transmission would protest.

I managed to continue driving it like this for 2.5 more years, even taking it on several cross-state road trips adding almost 30,000 miles with the transmission having problems. Then this January at 221,000, it wouldn't shift above 1st gear anymore.

Took it to the transmission shop, and they told me it needed a rebuild including a new torque converter and it was $3300 with labor to fix it. The transmission has been working fine now, I've only put 1500 miles on it since the repair. But now my front end suspension is giving me issues that I didn't have before the transmission repair, its all real loose and I need to take it in a have it looked at now.
I had multiple issues with front suspension with my 2000 Accord. I had the transmission replaced, ball joints replaced, control rods replaced, the main transmission shaft replaced and a bunch of other things. The front suspension components and transmission on Honda's from that era were always prone to failure. I drove my 2000 Accord SE for 23 years. I had the problems I mentioned, but I really enjoyed that car. I still miss it, even though I traded up for a 2018 CR-V Touring, another great vehicle, though with they could have designed the climate controls better. Shop around for prices on repairs. It's not worth paying Honda Service if you can find a good mechanic who knows what he's doing.