General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Honda Accord starts, stalls and dies? No check engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Default 2002 Honda Accord starts, stalls and dies? No check engine

Just bought a 2002 Honda Accord special addition, everything was running good for a week. Then I got real low on gas, filled it up, and then at the light it started to stall, my radio turned off, and died. I was able to turn it back on, and drive to work with no issues. After my shift it started to do the same thing, radio off, then stall. I waited a few moments and was able to make it home. Next day it is nearly impossible to start. It Cranks, will start if I hold the gas, and it will run for a minute then choke and die. I replaced fuel pump, and strainer, but not the assembly, main relay, and ignition switch and it still does the same thing. After I try to start it all these lights on the dash turn on, but I can't get any codes. When I turn the key I can hear the relay click, all fuses are good. Battery and alternator are good as well. I'm thinking it can be the MAF sensor, the egr valve, or maybe something to do with the fuel Injectors? Maybe they are clogged? The fuel pump strainer looked pretty dirty, and I think because I let the fuel get low it sucked up some dirt since it was parked for a while? I also read that changing the thermostat can fix the problem? Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

This is for members later on that will read this thread. Please avoid throwing parts at the problem without some testing first. Besides wasting money replacing a properly working part, I've seen new parts that are bad out of the box that can mess up finding the original root cause. If you replace parts, keep the original parts, so you can reinstall to eliminate a bad part out of the box.

Having a stalling problem right after you filled up the gas tank could mean that you got bad gasoline. I try to avoid filling up my car when the gas station underground tanks are getting filled with gasoline, because filling the underground tanks can churn up any sediment on the bottom or churn up water on the bottom.

I recommend not replacing any more parts. I'd probably siphon out as much gasoline from the tank as possible, then fill with fresh gas with a fuel stabilizer to see if this fixes the issue.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:08 PM

Yo it’s sounds like an ignition coil fail check a see if she misfiring an on what cylinder or it could be a lower exhaust leak.
Originally Posted by UrBoiRoy
Just bought a 2002 Honda Accord special addition, everything was running good for a week. Then I got real low on gas, filled it up, and then at the light it started to stall, my radio turned off, and died. I was able to turn it back on, and drive to work with no issues. After my shift it started to do the same thing, radio off, then stall. I waited a few moments and was able to make it home. Next day it is nearly impossible to start. It Cranks, will start if I hold the gas, and it will run for a minute then choke and die. I replaced fuel pump, and strainer, but not the assembly, main relay, and ignition switch and it still does the same thing. After I try to start it all these lights on the dash turn on, but I can't get any codes. When I turn the key I can hear the relay click, all fuses are good. Battery and alternator are good as well. I'm thinking it can be the MAF sensor, the egr valve, or maybe something to do with the fuel Injectors? Maybe they are clogged? The fuel pump strainer looked pretty dirty, and I think because I let the fuel get low it sucked up some dirt since it was parked for a while? I also read that changing the thermostat can fix the problem? Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:48 PM

My 2002 Accord V6 was stalling while I was driving. I would have to sit and wait at least 5 mins before it would turn back on. I changed the main relay and now it's good