General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord Transmission stalls when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Default 2001 Accord Transmission stalls when Cold

Hi Everyone,

I bought my accord when it had 42,000 miles and 1 owner. At 75k miles the tranny went out, luckily it was under the recall and Honda "supposedly" replaced it. Here it is now at 138k miles and the past few weeks when my car is first started for the day, I back out of my driveway get to the stop sign and as it trys to lock into first gear it stalls then gets into gear while jerking the car at the same time. Once the car warms up the tranny runs fine for the remainder of the day/night no matter if I turn off the car for a few hours and then turn it back on.

I had my dad check my tranny fluid level (yes I'm a girl lol) he said the level was fine the fluid didn't look burnt and there were no shavings in the fluid. This morning while heading to work I started my car got to the stop sign and this time it stalled longer than usual, kicked into first and then the check engine light came on and d4 light started blinking. I pulled over and turned off the car and waited a few mins before turning back on. D4 light wasn't blinking but check engine light is still on, car is driving and shifting fine now.

My question - do you think the tranny is shot and needs replacing or could it be a less costly fix lol? Also, if the tranny is shot...is there anyway to hold Honda responsible? It's only been 63k miles since they replaced the last one and it just seems that their transmissions are defective. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Some auto parts store such as Autozone will read/scan for trouble codes free. Try to get the car scanned for trouble codes, then post the actual code number(s).

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Torque Converter Possible

From what I’ve seen in looking around, it could be a torques converter. See following link: http://www.toptransmissions.com/hond...rque-converter No need to assume that the transmission is done for yet. I found a lot of good info there. This might give you some insight into what’s causing this issue.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Don't assume it's the torque converter. In fact, don't assume anything until you get the error code number. Why guess about it when autozone-type places will read it for free?