General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord V6 odometer says "ERROR"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Default 2001 Accord V6 odometer says "ERROR"

Hi this is my first post on a forum.
I have a 2001 Accord V6 sedan and the odometer reads the word "ERROR" where the total miles of the car should be. I have only found one site threw all my searching that mentioned this on a honda and I can't find it again either now. It had mentioned that they thought that it was the connection between the ABS and the TCU/ECU.
My ABS light is NOT on but I have code 5-3 when I make it manually flash.

I reset my Trip A and B and they haven't moved either. My speedometer works fine.

Any Idea???

Thanks in advance

Old 11-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A search of honda shop manual did not find error for the gauge panel odometer. Likely is an undocumented feature. Gauge panel would need to be removed and sent to a specialty shop for repair, or a used gauge panel installed w/ a total mileage update on Car Title (many states).

Code 53 is code for ABS pump stuck ON. Shop manual describes how to run down electrical fault/s to find problem. One potential souce is ABS pump relay stuck closed.

good luck

Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Get a used speedo head cluster with similar mileage and replace. Contact East Park Auto in New York or visit the site. They will have all the info on the car the part(s) are from including the mileage. Tell them what you have for mileage and get it close, otherwise get a low mileage one and follow your state regulations for sticker on the side of the speedo head and even title update as already mentioned by TX above.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help on the odometer. I think I'll just order another gauge cluster that seams like it would probably be cheaper then repairing my current one.

As far as the ABS code goes it doesn't feel like the pump is stuck on when i'm breaking. I slammed on the brakes and I could feel the ABS turn on.

I'll let you know what happens when i put a new cluster in
Thanks

Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM

so i was looking for gauge clusters and I was wondering can I use a 4 cylinder cluster? I was wondering because of the traction control light. Are they specific for model and year.
Thanks for the help.
The dealership had never seen the word "ERROR" ever before so thats not a good sign

Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can look up the oem part number for your car and a donor car. If they are identical, then you will have no problems. If they are different, then there likely will be some issue you need to work out.

You can also look up junkyard parts on a site like car-part.com. They will list the donor vehicles that are an exact match for your car.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:30 PM

OK so turns out it was just a bad gauge cluster with the mile. Found one on ebay with very close miles and it works perfect. Its odd that only the Total miles on the old odometer didn't work but everything else did. We are good to go.