General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer error, acceptable error?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Speedometer error, acceptable error?

2000 EX V6 Accord....

Has anyone else noticed speedometer error in that the speedometer will read you are going faster than you actually are? For example my Accord will register 80 mph and you are really travelling at 74 mph. I think my speedo is in error because as my wife and I travel in separate vehicles we have noticed a 6-8 mph difference at highway speeds between the Accord and my other 2 vehicles. The other two vehicles read the same.

Has anyone noticed this in their Accord? Any ideas where this is coming from? I'm running the stock tires and wheels. I was thinking it could be a speed sensor in the trans?

Thanks..

Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Speedometer error, acceptable error?

my 94 accord, my 98 accord and my current car CL type S all read the same speed according to the radar sign near my house.....

Old 11-28-2006, 04:40 PM

I've never had any issues either.... if your tire sizes are stock (are they aftermarket tires in a stock size by chance?) then it could be the speedo or VSS... Or perhaps there is enough of a variance in your tire size to throw it off...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All stock, even the Michelin's. Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

the federal standard given to the auto manufacturers is 5%. There is a current class action lawsuit against honda for mis-reading milage

Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 AM

My 01' Accord has similar error.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Class action lawsuit eh...see this... www.odosettlementinfo.com

This applies to 02-07 models, however Honda admits odometers "overstate" mileage. At this point, I'm curious as to whether or not this is a condition that can be repaired. The settlement doesn't reference a means of repair just certain forms of other compensation.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 AM
MPF

Can anyone explain with simple words what this lawsuit means for any Honda user?

I have extended insurance til 2009 / 100kmiles. Does this mean that if I get to 100k miles first, they have to extend the warranty or get a cash refund? is this effective as of right now?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM

yes and honda's max error is +3.75% or -1.5% and they are getting sued? WTF? I would hope that it gets appealed and overturned........Honda is very good about doing warranty work on cars that are within a few K of their warranty....I personally have had warranty work done on a car that was 8K past the warranty.....

Old 12-01-2006, 10:54 PM

This type of error is not as uncommon as you think. My M3 is about 6% off (slow), and from reading other's experiences on m3forum.net, that is common. From what I have heard, it doesnt impact mileage. Apparently the odo runs on a separate system than the speedo.

Quick Reply: Speedometer error, acceptable error?