General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 LX AT - Brake Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Default 2001 LX AT - Brake Lights Not Working

So I did a search, and came up with some info, but no resolution. Hope you all can help me out.

So about 2 weeks ago I noticed that my car would not shift out of park, and only upon repeated pressing on the brake pedal would the car shift lock be disabled. Needless to say after about 3 or 4 days the problem went away.

Last night I realized my brake lights (all 3) were not coming on when the break pedal was pressed. The car can shift out of park when the brake is pressed. After reading a little the problem from 2 weeks ago, and the lights not working it led me to believe the brake light switch was faulty. I went ahead and purchased a new one and installed it. I also check the bulbs to make sure they are good as well as the fuse. Everything is working fine, but the brake lights are still not coming on.

There was a previous post about someone with the same issue, i.e. car shifts but not light, but there was no history of the car being stuck in park. So that's why I started a new thread. Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to check the wht/yel (on 94 Accord, could be different on yours, check autozone) wire at the brake light switch. It should have 12V all the time.

If you have 12V check the grn/wht wire from the brake light switch for 12V when brake pedal is pressed.

It is possible you installed the brake light switch incorrectly and something is preventing the switch from closing (spring action) when you press the brake pedal.

If you have 12v on grn/wht wire w/ brake pedal pressed, then there's an open circuit somewhere leading to the brake lights, or the grounds (separate grounds for lower brake lights and high mount brake light).

good luck

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

One other simple thing to check. Look at the metal part that pushes on the brake switch that you installed. Is that piece pushing in the plunger on the brake pedal switch? Or is there an empty hole on that metal tab?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks Tex.

I am 100% sure the switch was installed correctly. Just to test I did this, I left the switch uninstalled (not screwed in, but powered). When you do NOT press the plunger in manually, the shifter can be used freely. When I do press it I cannot shift. This leads me to believe the switch is good. While doing this when the plunger was not being pressed, the brake light theoretically are supposed to be on all the time, and off then I press it, but they never turned on.

Does this mean it can only be an electrical problem? Do you think the problem from 2 weeks ago with the shifter not moving out of park was just a coincidence, and the real problem is possibly wiring in the trunk somewhere?

Last edited by smh410; 06-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

On the 01, out of the switch the WHT/BLK is the power when the pedal is pressed/switch closed.....again, #47, 20amp underhood fuse needs to be checked (power to the wht/yel into the switch).

Wow, I'm slow at typing......just saw the other posts,,,,,

Last edited by poorman212; 06-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM

One thing I did not check was if the cruise control worked with the new switch. It did not work with the old one as I tested that earlier.

Am I correct in assuming that if the car will shift out of park, and cruise control works, there is a shortage of some sort in the wiring between the switch and the lights?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
On the 01, out of the switch the WHT/BLK is the power when the pedal is pressed/switch closed.....again, #47, 20amp underhood fuse needs to be checked (power to the wht/yel into the switch).
That would be the 20 listed as "STOP" correct? If so it is good. Also if there was no power when the pedal is pressed, as you mentioned, is it safe to assume the car would not shift?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Simple question.....are we sure the bulbs are good?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Simple question.....are we sure the bulbs are good?
Checked all of them except the one up top.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you manually press/release the switch, do the brake lights turn on and off?

Quick Reply: 2001 LX AT - Brake Lights Not Working