General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Accord 2.3l a/c pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 AM
hondaredcar
Unregistered
Default 2002 Accord 2.3l a/c pulley wobble

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 liter. 57,000 miles.

My compressor pulley runs true with the a/c off but when the clutch engages the serpentine pulley and the clutch seems to wobble a bit. When you increase rpm it seems to stop. It does not affect the a/c performance just makes a squeaking noise.

My question is: Is there a bushing or bearing on either the compressor, pulley or within the clutch assembly that can be replaced or is it the compressor itself?

Tried to check center bolt for the clutch but access with it installed is tight.

Also checked the pulley by hand, and it does not move but with a pry bar you can get some movement axially.

Any other info would be great.

Thanks Paul...

Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2002 Accord 2.3l a/c pulley wobble

There is a bearing in the pulley. Remove the clutch plate (10mm bolt and restrain the clutch with tool or jump relay with car not running). I bought a pulley at O'Reillys and had a machine shop press the new one in.

I'm not sure if that bearing wearing out will give you the play you are describing. Mine was a bit rough when I had to change the compressor shaft seal. Hopefully others will be able to comment. You might only have to set the shims correctly on the clutch plate. A feeler gauge will tell you if the clutch gap is within spec.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
hondaredcar
Unregistered
Default RE: 2002 Accord 2.3l a/c pulley wobble

Thanks pahonda,

Turns out my problem after removing the compressor was a broken snap ring that holds the pulley to the compressor.
While everything was off I replaced the whole clutch setup (pulley,field coil,pressure plate and of course new snap rings).

I was however fortunate enough to do it all with the system still charged. The biggest problem was shimming the plate, it took 3 tries to get the plate to not squeak when the compressor cycled off. Once it was too far and the field coil did'nt even engage the pressure plate.

With everything back together almost all the wobble is gone. I think some is still present due to the fact the snap ring broke and allowed the pulley to wobble on the compressor hub, but I think it will survive. At least the noise it made before is now completely gone.

Thanks again,
Paul....