General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Accord P0730 & P0780

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Default 2002 Accord P0730 & P0780

Well my wifes Accord seems to be on it's last legs. I recall a service bulliten that came out shortly after we bought our car but the dealership said it wasn't affected. Now I'm thinking otherwise.

Symptoms: CEL, P0780 code first time it occured, now P0730 as well. The tranny appears to be locking up into a high gear when it throws the P0730 code. There is a flare when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (engine revs before 2nd lock in place). I gather from my wife it has been happening a lot. The flairing has been going on for months but the CEL and codes are new as of two days ago. And it couldn't happen at a better time, I'm leaving for a 2 month work trip next week. Well I guess she could drive my truck while I'm gone but I'd rather fix her car.

I'm only a weekend mechanic so I don't have a lot of tools but I can rebuild an engine, replace a clutch, you know, regular stuff. Automatic Transmissions, never touched those before.

I did search here for P0780 code and found 13 references, none were a perfect fit for my situation. I searched the hell out of the internet last night and this morning, not as much out there as I would have hoped for.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help someone could lend me. My goal is to limp the car along until the end of the year at a minimum until I return home.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Besides that PM I sent you here is a greatest of all great link to the subject..All members should put this in your Favorites area..your gonna need it very soon and now even if you rotate your tires anytime and have the years of vehicles that these TPMS's cover...

WheelBrokerAng www.whytpms.com

Old 10-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Besides that PM I sent you here is a greatest of all great link to the subject..All members should put this in your Favorites area..your gonna need it very soon and now even if you rotate your tires anytime and have the years of vehicles that these TPMS's cover...

WheelBrokerAng www.whytpms.com
Didn't recieve a PM and what does tire pressure have to do with transmission issues like I have?

-Joe

Old 10-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

You know? I don't know tho..I must have posted this in the wrong forum..but Great information for you to hold on to anyways...would"t you agree?

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
You know? I don't know tho..I must have posted this in the wrong forum..but Great information for you to hold on to anyways...would"t you agree?

WheelBrokerAng
I guess it's good info, not really conserned with that since my accord doesn't have that feature. Kind of looking for a smoking gun on my transmission before I have to pay an arm and leg to have it repaired. Maybe the problem is one of the pressure solinoids, but not sure which one, maybe B? So, just looking for some advice.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You may want to purchase a factory shop manual for your car to provide diagnostics for these particular codes. Check ebay for a lower cost e-manual.

The codes P0730 and P0780 may indicate internal hydraulic problems that are difficult to resolve.

You may find that purchasing a used transmission is a better option than repair of your transmission.

good luck

Old 10-26-2010, 06:49 PM

I'm gonna talk to a transmission shop to see what can be done. I'd rather not buy a new car since everything else is working great on this Accord. A refurbed transmission may be the ticket but I need to find out if the control solinoids which are external to the transmission would also be replaced since I feel one of those is the originator of the problem.

My wife has relaxed her accelerator pressure and the car is acting fine. So long as she doesn't floor it I think it will be fine until we can get it fixed.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6 accord or a 4 cylinder?

The 98-02 V6 had a lot of transmission failures. The 4 cylinder has transmission problems too, but I have seen more on here dealing with the V6. It is something about the design that caused an internal bearing to fail, so the external solenoids may not be the cause of the failure.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is this a V6 accord or a 4 cylinder?

The 98-02 V6 had a lot of transmission failures. The 4 cylinder has transmission problems too, but I have seen more on here dealing with the V6. It is something about the design that caused an internal bearing to fail, so the external solenoids may not be the cause of the failure.
4 Cyl. Honda had a failure of one of the solinoids in my year model however my VIN did not match up so they blew me off. That was several years ago and at the original dealership I bought the car from. So, I'm fairly certain it's the same problem and the fix is a rebuild transmission and replace one of the solinoids. I read the service bulletin a few days ago but I couldn't tell you which solinoid it was. Honda extended the transmission warrantee out to 100K miles but I've recently exceeded that and they don't feel my car was in the suspect lot.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Default The cost

So, Replacing the solenoids is that a valid solution if so how much is the approximate cost, most transmission guys say that at this point it is better to replace or rebuild the whole transmisison.

Rahul

Quick Reply: 2002 Accord P0730 & P0780