General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 accord whining noise from timing belt area

Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Default 2002 accord whining noise from timing belt area

Hi all:
I have a whining noise coming from the timing belt area on my 2002 Honda Accord (2.3 4 cyl). The the pitch of the noise changes with engine RPM. It is still there even when the power steering and alternator belts are removed.

I did have the timing belt/water pump replaced about 15000 miles ago (just a couple of days after I bought the car). The noise has been present ever since then. I can't be sure whether the noise was there before the belt replacement, as I'd just bought the car and wouldnt have noticed it yet.

I understand that symptoms like this can be due to the timing belt being too tight. But wouldnt it have stretched after 1 year and 15000 miles? Anything else in there that it could be?

I was planning to readjust the belt tension. Can I do this just with removing the top timing belt cover, or do I need to remove the crankshaft pulleys and bottom cover as well?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No, timing belt tension can be adjusted w/o removing lower TB cover.

Procedure is for earliier models 90-97, but should be the same.

1) Remove engine wire harness from upper timing belt cover. You will have to disconnect battery and disconnect harness wire from alternator.
2) Remove the valve cover or you can just lift valve cover enough to allow the upper timing belt cover to be removed.
3)Rotate crankshaft CCW and align engine w/ TDC on timing marks on the timing belt cover (or elsewhere for your model).
4) Loosen the tensioner adjustment nut
5) Rotate the crankshaft CCW 3 teeth on camshaft sprocket to create tension on timing belt.
6) Tighten adjustment nut.
7) If crankshaft pulley bolt loosens, retighten to correct torque. This is extremely unlikely and would indicate the crankshaft bolt was not tightened properly in first place, IMO.

good luck