General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 honda accord start problem ,more

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda accord start problem ,more

I have 2002 accord my problem is the car will crank but not start also when key is on it will not come out of park , the other day i cked all fueses and all good . I cked for spark and it was good so this I thought was a fuel problem but when I just let it with the key on I noticed that it would not come out of park . I cked for volts at the coil and it was good got back in the and it started right up and I drove it around the neighborhood so I thought all was Good . I went out today and tried to start it and it just cranked and would not start also same problem it will not come out of park , I am wondering if this could be the security system on this car I did not take the wire off the distributor like I done the first time as of yet , is there a way to disable the security system on this car ?. I seem to think that the security system is the problem . Does anyone have any idea of what is causing this and a the fix for it . I am pretty good mechanic but this one has me stumped so just asking for some help , thanks

Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Lets assume the no-start and the shift lock are unrelated.

When you can't get the car out of park, are the brake lights working?

When the car is not starting, you will have to determine if the car is lacking spark or fuel. If you have a timing light, that is a quick way to verify spark. Fuel is more difficult. I'd listen for the fuel pump to prime for about two seconds when you first turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat that turns on when the check engine light does the bulb check, so turn off the radio, blower, etc. and listen carefully.

As for the alarm system, is this a factory unit, or an aftermarket?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default thanks for the reply , I do not think it is a spark or fuel

I do not think it is a fuel or spark problem , I do not get neither no spark or fuel you will not get fuel if you get no spark ,I think it is the security system , the system is factory , the security light does go out when I hit the remote to unlock the doors , the motor cranks over good , yes the brakes light work , this one has me stumped < I am going to change the brake light switch , it is cheap and easy to change I will let you know how I make out but any suggestion will be greatful , thanks

Old 09-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda no start or come out of park problem

The security is the factory system . I cleaned the battery post and changed out the brake light switch and no change I am really stumped on this one I need help I will not take it to a garage I will figure this out , this a spare car so it can sit for awhile if any has any more ideas lmk I am looking for the CD manual for this car and I ordered the Haynes book on it but those things are not to complete to help with problems I need the start system wiring diagram if u have one can u sent it to my email , thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

This quoted post is very confusing. How did you test for spark? How did you test for fuel? What were the results?

You should not get into the habit of replacing parts that are working. If the brake lights are working, then the switch is working. Too often, replacement parts can complicate diagnosis due to poor installation or new parts that are bad out of the box.

I do not think it is a fuel or spark problem , I do not get neither no spark or fuel you will not get fuel if you get no spark ,I think it is the security system , the system is factory , the security light does go out when I hit the remote to unlock the doors , the motor cranks over good , yes the brakes light work , this one has me stumped < I am going to change the brake light switch , it is cheap and easy to change I will let you know how I make out but any suggestion will be greatful , thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda accord no start

I have a tester as stated it cranks over so I took a spark tester and there is none .I also took my pressure fuel gauge and there is no fuel pressure I did not Change anything as of yet my brake lights worked so I did not change it out. I put My scanner on it but for some reason my scanner is not working on this car I have a Mac Pro scanner so for now I am stuck until I can get this scanner to work so can see how many volts I have at the TPS .I am going to try again today with the scanner . Thanks for the help

Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda accord transmission for sale

be patient I am trying to download Pic I have not done this in awhile

Attached Thumbnails 2002 honda accord start problem ,more-img_2815.jpg   2002 honda accord start problem ,more-img_2813.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda accord 4.2 vtec auto trans

the receipt is still on the trans from when I bought it and never installed , the price is $500 for it and actual shipping charges to your location , I am guessing at $125 to ship , I will put it on a skid and get it onto the truck and tie it down , after it is paid for of course , I have do have a Paypal account , ck my feedback on ebay over 900 positive.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2002 honda accord , wrong ad posted , sorry

I have a trans for sale and posted it to the wrong ad sorry

Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I put my scanner on it today and for some reason it would not comunicate with the ECM , anyhow ,I took the intake hose off to the throttle body and sprayed some ether and sprayed a little in the intake and nothing , I wanted it to put the car in front of my garage so it is easier to work on instead of the street in front of my house , so I pushed it ( took a small screwdriver and got it out of park ) , the battery was starting to go low from trying to start it all the time , so for the heck of it I put my charger on it , the battery is good mind you , I took the TPS plug off of it and cked for volts and it was reading .45 so is good , I took the fuel line off and cranked it and nothing , Put it back on , I had my kid crank it over and the dam thing started and came out of park and I drove it again like the other day , I cannot take this car anywhere because of afraid of getting stuck , you know as well as I that intermintent problems are the worst , what can cause this , I am not a parts changer , I like to fix the problem ,I also was reading about the main relay could have bad soldering joints on it in places, I will ck this

Quick Reply: 2002 honda accord start problem ,more