General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 2.4L Stalls while driving if I press clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Default 2003 2.4L Stalls while driving if I press clutch

2003 Accord Ex-l manual, 2.4L. 215 000km. (135 000 miles)
I have had it only 6 months a font know what maintenance was done on it.
I noticed a few months back that while stopped at a light my idle would sometimes bounce but only a little. Then the car would occasionally stall at idle. I reset the ecu and let it idle for 5 minutes to reset it. The car only stalled once in 2 months since. But recently i did notice it doesnt accelerate as smoothly. The check engine light has been on for months but I only got a o2 sensor code.
Yesterday the check engine light was gone for the whole day.
Today the light came back but so did A new problem.
When I pressed the clutch and brake to come to a stop my car stalled while moving about 15 miles/hr. it started up again right away. It kept stalling after that every time i pressed the clutch. When parked in idle I noticed te bouncing of the idle (aicv ??) Then I let it sit for 2 hours. When I started it up it seemed to idle a bit ruff but no more stalling. When the car warmed up (5minuted) it started stalling again.

I had ignition switch problem with my oddesey but I think this is a different problem. Maybe a sensor.

Please help!

Any ideas please? Where to start for diagnosing?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Have the codes rescanned to verify that you do not have a new code.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Ok I will try to get the codes checked tomorrow. In the meantime any ideas?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

If you are having a sensor problem, then you should get a new code to help diagnose.

The other item is maintenance. When were the spark plugs changed? What spark plugs were used?

This is a basic question, but are your sure that you have gas in the tank? Maybe add a gallon to be sure your fuel gauge isn't messed up.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 PM

I took it to autozone but their scanner couldn't connect to my computer. They told me to go to the dealer
It looks like my problem is turning out to be more serious.
Btw this is my first winter with the car. These days temperatures are just below freezing. When I bought the car in the spring the previous owner said he was having some problems, and he changed the maf sensor but he made it sound like it didn't really solve his problem. Maybe it has to do with the weather. Any advice please???

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM

The car wants to stall, I have to keep my foot on the gas when its idling for it not to stall.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Come to think of it I had a very similar problem with my Mazda mpv and i changed the throttle body sensor and maf sensor and it solved my problem. Could this be the same thing? Or Would a bad iacv cause stalling?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM

I wonder what Autozone used on your car... I bought a scanner from Amazon that I could use to read code from my 2005 Accord (same generation as yours) with no trouble at all.

Search Amazon.com for this exact text:
OBD2 Reader Car Diagnostic Tool OBD II (MT-50)

Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 PM

Actually he used " innova 3120 scanner" I took it to another garage and their scanner did the same thing. The scanner is supposed to work ?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM

Did the scanner they use even turn on? The scanner is powered by your car, and there is a chance that the terminal is not working. If it did turn on but displayed an error, then I'd say try the scanner I recommended. It's only $20 and it will pay for itself soon enough. If it doesn't work either you can return it or resell it on craigslist.

Quick Reply: 2003 2.4L Stalls while driving if I press clutch