General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 2.4L Stalls while driving if I press clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I would check your fuses for your ECU/PCM. I would probably check all of the fuses to be sure one is not blown. The owner's manual should list the fuses.

I would start with the easy stuff before assuming the PCM is faulty. I would also not blindly replace a part until you verify something is bad.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My 02 did the same thing occasionally, you should try cleaning the IAC. There is a good how to on this site for that. Don't really have much time to write anything else right now but thats what did it for me!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM

The scanner turned, it was apparently cycling ( trying to read) but then couldn't..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 AM

*turned ON

Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM

I checked all the fuses (under the steering wheel) and I didn't find any broken fuses.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

I took it somewhere else and I got the following codes:
p1157 ?
P0420 cat below threshold
P0341 camshaft position sensor circuit range
P0134 o2 sensor no activity bank 1-1
Mechanic told me I have to change my timing chain and tensioner $800 total.
He never checked the timing but he said that since cam and crank sensor are both not working the timing is off & that would be causing damage to the cat. And he also said he doesn't suggest I drive it because I could damage my engine head.
What do you guys think???

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Search for some of your codes on the web. I know that the chain can stretch over time. Once the tensioner get to the maximum point, the chain can jump and cause engine damage.

I know that I read about chain/tensioner replacement due to certain codes for my TSX (similar engine to your accord). I just can't remember the codes.

If the codes point to a timing chain issue, I would not drive the car and get the chain replaced.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Also I forgot to add:
My engine burns a lot of oil. 300 miles of driving I loose about 2 liters of oil. The day my problems started my oil light came on and I saw I had only maybe less than 1 little of oil in the engine

Old 11-23-2011, 06:20 AM

FYI:
First off if anyone that quotes you 3.6 hours to replace a timing chain i'd run away. Honda's labor for timing chain replacement is up to 8 hours labor plus parts which could be up to 1600.00 in parts and labor. Honda's timing belt replacement time is 3.6 hours not chains.

The timing chain tensioner is oil fed, and relys on engine oil pressure to function and keep tension on the chain. If your engine run low on oil the tensioner will not keep tension against the chain and can jump timing. If it will not idle chances are it has jumped or now is loose and worn. When this happens camshaft out of sync codes are generated.
The codes should be cleared and engine run again, high RPM will generate the cam sensor codes again right away if the chain is loose or jumped. It takes about 30 minutes to remove the valve cover and inspect the chain. If the chain requires replacement honda now has a bulletin update that requires you to replace the chain, both cam sprockets, tensioner, and all chain guides, recommended crankshaft sprocket but requires removing oil pan and we have never seen a crankshaft sprocket worn to date. If the engine is burning excessive amounts of oil that explains the HO2 sensor codes, the oil will cause these codes.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 PM

i got the timing chain changed Nov 2011. Dealer was quoting $2000+ I got it done for $600 from someone who had changed one before on the same model. He didn't change all the tensioners and other parts honda was recommending. Anyways it lasted a good 2 years. Now I am experiencing similar issues. I hope my timing is not off again!
It stalled a few times but I have been driving it as is for last 3 weeks. It just idles ruff and sometimes i need to give gas when idling or it ill stall. But sometimes it seems fine. You think it is the same problem? I did change my spark plugs last year....

Quick Reply: 2003 2.4L Stalls while driving if I press clutch