General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord - ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation What is 23-1 Right rear pulsar malfuction means? Repairable?

When I was at dealer for 97,500 service maintainence, I asked them to find out what cause the ABS, Tri !, and TCS warning light. They only listed the new parts need to be replaced. I demand them to give me diagnostic codes to prove information first. They have had not give to me since Dec 7, 2015. I went to auto store offering free diagnositic scan for free today. I discovered several codes but I want to ask you what does 23-1 Right Rear Pulsar Malfunction mean?

Secondly, I went to another mechanic shop for separate work to replace the pad/rotor. He said that when he reset, the light still on last week. After I went to auto store today for free diagnositc scan today, it also list brake fluid low. Does it prove that mechanic did not complete the braking service job?

Again, what does code 23-1 right rear pulsar malfunciton mean? Thanks. By the way its my first time participating this forum. Its awesome reading information!

Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rubyshop
When I was at dealer for 97,500 service maintainence, I asked them to find out what cause the ABS, Tri !, and TCS warning light. They only listed the new parts need to be replaced. I demand them to give me diagnostic codes to prove information first. They have had not give to me since Dec 7, 2015. I went to auto store offering free diagnositic scan for free today. I discovered several codes but I want to ask you what does 23-1 Right Rear Pulsar Malfunction mean?

Secondly, I went to another mechanic shop for separate work to replace the pad/rotor. He said that when he reset, the light still on last week. After I went to auto store today for free diagnositc scan today, it also list brake fluid low. Does it prove that mechanic did not complete the braking service job?

Again, what does code 23-1 right rear pulsar malfunciton mean? Thanks. By the way its my first time participating this forum. Its awesome reading information!
What year is your car and 4 or 6 cylinders?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
What year is your car and 4 or 6 cylinders?

Sorry! It is 2003, v6, EX, 4 doors.

Also, If it's wheel bearing, can it be repaired instead of new part?

Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Check the brake fluid level to be sure you are not low (or high). There is also an electrical connector from the brake master cylinder that may be loose or possibly corroded. It is possible the fluid got low when doing the service and set the code.

A code 23 is a problem with the right rear abs sensor (called pulser). The problem can be from the wiring, loose sensor, possibly debris on the sensor. The shop manual says to inspect the sensor for obvious signs of damage.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Issue can be due to wiring, debris/contaminant, ABS/TCS modulator control unit (less likely), connections, sensor or pulser. The pulser is part of the rear hub unit, separate from the sensor. The rear hub unit is replaced if the pulser is faulty.

For ABS code 23, the terminals on the 47P black connector for the ABS/TCS Modulator Control Unit is checked. That black connector has a tab lock that is pushed then the lever is pulled before the connector disconnects itself. To reconnect the 47P connector, the lever is pulled down until is clicks into place, then the connector can be connected to the control unit.

The rear sensor has an orange connector under the right rear of the vehicle (passenger side). This can be inspected.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Accord - ABS Light-control-unit-connector.jpg   2003 Accord - ABS Light-right-rear-sensor-connector.jpg   2003 Accord - ABS Light-rear-sesnor-pulser.jpg  
Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Great! Very helpful diagram and simple explaination!

Is there a code for hub assembly required to be replaced? Honda said bearing needs replaced, what code for that one?

What about the 43-1 right rear wheel lock, what it means? Need to know because I don't trust mechanic at honda dealer for only saying sensors, bearings and abs modular to be replaced without even showing me the codes for that! I found the codes at auto store for free!

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Issue can be due to wiring, debris/contaminant, ABS/TCS modulator control unit (less likely), connections, sensor or pulser. The pulser is part of the rear hub unit, separate from the sensor. The rear hub unit is replaced if the pulser is faulty.

Thank u for help! Any part above if need replaced, does it have to be honda part?

For ABS code 23, the terminals on the 47P black connector for the ABS/TCS Modulator Control Unit is checked. That black connector has a tab lock that is pushed then the lever is pulled before the connector disconnects itself. To reconnect the 47P connector, the lever is pulled down until is clicks into place, then the connector can be connected to the control unit.

The rear sensor has an orange connector under the right rear of the vehicle (passenger side). This can be inspected.

Last edited by rubyshop; 12-16-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you PAhonda!!!
I will go to another mechanic to fill out second opinion letter to document whether brake service was not completed then I will try to get my credit card co to get my money back!

When I went honda dealer for abs ck and he said I need replace bearing, modular, sensors! I suspect he s lying! What code is for abs modular assesmbly that need to be replaced? What code is bearing that need to be replaced? I can check see if it is on my record that I got free scan from auto store!

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Check the brake fluid level to be sure you are not low (or high). There is also an electrical connector from the brake master cylinder that may be loose or possibly corroded. It is possible the fluid got low when doing the service and set the code.

A code 23 is a problem with the right rear abs sensor (called pulser). The problem can be from the wiring, loose sensor, possibly debris on the sensor. The shop manual says to inspect the sensor for obvious signs of damage.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Codes aren't that simple. Any error code just points to which system isn't working correctly. That might mean a broken wire, a disconnected plug (just plug it back in), or the component is actually failed.

The code 23 points to the right-rear wheel pulser. That's a toothed ring around the rotating part of the hub, and the sensor has to magnetically pick up those teeth. It might be something actually damaged on the teeth - if so you have to replace the hub unit (lots of mechanics call that "the bearing").

But it might be a bunch of crud with metal shavings sticking to the magnetic sensor. In that case it needs a good cleaning. Same error message because the computer cannot tell the difference between a bad sensor, a broken wire, or a bunch of magnetic crud stuck to the sensor. You or the mechanic has to actually look at the parts & figure that out.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Default ABS Problem

Hey everyone can anyone help me with my problem i have an 03 Honda accord that just recently started to act up. in the middle of driving my dashboard stop working as well as my A/C and to complicate everything the ABS light, and e-Brake light is on and i can't seem to find the problem. I've checked everything that i can alldata said to do like the fuses, the voltage on the wiring of the dashboard and abs motor and everything checked out fine, no check engine light at all I've even plugged in my Code reader and not codes are pulling up. it driving me nuts and really need some help. Does anyone have any clue what to do.