General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Gimly54
Unregistered
Default 2003 Accord Brake Noise

I own a 2003 Accord EX. When operating the vehicle from a cold start (at least 5 hours), the front brakes start grabbing and make a scraping noise. After about 5 minutes of driving/braking it disappears. I had the dealer check on this, but, they found nothing wrong. Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2003 Accord Brake Noise

remove the frt pads and sand them down,, also sand down the rotors.. they might be glazed..
try it and post results

Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM
msdi26
Unregistered

Hey there, I too own a 2003 Accord & have experienced the same sound. It first happened at barely 3,000 miles. When I spoke to the dealer, they told me that the pads installed are not the greatest......so I took those stock ones out & upgraded them thinking it would solve the problem. It doesn't. My brother is a mechanic and I had him check things out; he told me everything was fine.....just the dust causing the sound. It's annoying as all hell, but as long as there is no "grindage" like it's your rotors, you should be fine.........Not really much help, but know that your not alone!!

Di

Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 PM

whaaaaaaaaaat ??? the dealer told you that the pads that hondas come with are not the greatest???? that guy is a Dick-head.........,,factory pads are the ones that fit the best and squeak the least ,,...They should have replaced your pads and machine the rotors for FREE .. go back there and have them do it under WARRANTY...

Old 12-23-2005, 01:42 PM
msdi26
Unregistered

Well, seeing as I have 54,000 miles on my car.....I think they'll totally laugh at me. Besides, my brakes only squeak once in a blue moon now. I am perfectly content with what I have, but THANKS!!

Old 12-23-2005, 01:47 PM

MSd .........once in a while and after car has been sitting for a long time,, get a water hose and spray the frt brakes and rotors ,, sometimes dust will get between pads and rotors causing the noise ,,

Old 12-24-2005, 04:18 AM
jiangxuexi
Unregistered

Hi,
my 2003 honda accor LX 4door sedan got the same problem and that annoying grinding sound has haunted me from 0 mile to almost 46000 miles,
luckily that I am still driving safely with my car ( no brake related accident !!!) I first got this problem around 3000 miles, and after 10000 miles, I contacted the dealer and they tested and scared by the noise and they helped me replace a new brake pads under warranty, but after another 10000 miles the same problem occurs again. Now I can see it is not only my car's problem, if any one finds root cause of the problem and have a solution to fix it, I highly appreciate it. thanks.

by the way, my car's fuel efficiency drops greatly recently, my car is 4 cylinder, and normally one full tank of gas can drive 400 miles, mixed with highway and local, now it keeps dropping and recently it can only drive about 320 miles with the same itineary of the daily commute. Anyone experience the same problem?

Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Gimly54
Unregistered

Had my 2003 Accord EX serviced today for the brake grinding/grabbing. They replaced the pads and turned the rotors. No charge for the service, covered by the warranty. Driving home from the dealer resulted in smooth, quiet performance. No noise. No grabbing. Let's see how they work after 3,000 miles. Keep you updated.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Hoosier
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jiangxuexi

by the way, my car's fuel efficiency drops greatly recently, my car is 4 cylinder, and normally one full tank of gas can drive 400 miles, mixed with highway and local, now it keeps dropping and recently it can only drive about 320 miles with the same itineary of the daily commute. Anyone experience the same problem?
You don't mention where you are, but in many parts of the US, gasoline switches to a "winter blend" during the colder months. This gas, combined with the longer period to warm the enging has a tendency to lower gas mileage. See http://www.hybridcars.com/winter-col...d-mileage.html for more info.

My 97 accord coupe generally drops ~5 MPG during the winter months.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:35 AM

I also had same problem, and I went to Honda Dealer Shop with a certified used car warranty. They charged $40 for brake inspection (they said I should pay it because the noise is not any problem. and when they inspect a car for no problem, the warranty doesn't cover the inspection fee...) They said the noise is from some rust over night, but I felt like they were not even sure about that.

they also told me that all the car had this problem. (really??) lol..

anyway the service mechanic could not fix or find the real problem, either..

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord Brake Noise