General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord Engine Wire Harness Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
joshik
Unregistered
Default 2003 Accord Engine Wire Harness Problems

Hi!

My first post here. Here is my situation. My girlfriend lives in colorado and im in cali. she drives a 2003 honda accord lx 4d 5sp AT. She had starting problems and took it to a mechanic. it turns out that the +battery wire that splits off to the fuse box and the starter has corroded where it goes to the starter causing starting problems. they did a temp fix by shortening the cable or something and putting a new terminal end on. the mechanic said this would be a temp fix and prob would corrode again. he suggested replacing the entire thing which would cost $300 ($100 for part, $200 for labor).

im pretty good with cars but unfortunately i am not there to look at the exact problem area.

a few questions:

1. anyone experience problems like this?

2. i saw the entire wire harness for sale online ($200+) and a "sub-wire starter" ($70+). i know without seeing it, its hard to say or give any advice.... how does the "sub-wire starter" work? is that what breaks off from the + terminal to the starter?

3. by the mechanic saying he "shortened the cable and put a new + terminal end on" what would he have shortened?

4. im trying to find pics of engine diagrams and actual engine pics to see for myself how it all works. anyone have pics?

any advice would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2003 Accord Engine Wire Harness Problems

1. It's possible.

2. I think you found the entire engine wiring harness that connects all the sensors to the computer. This is simply the battery cable.

3. He cut the old terminal off and crimped a new, non corroded one on. Just gives a newer connection.

4. This is the cable you want. The red end goes onto the battery + terminal. The black end goes to the starter and the gold end connects to the fuse box in the engine bay. It shouldn't cost you more than $50 for the new cable and $80 in labor. It's a quick job to replace.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
joshik
Unregistered

thanks finch13! that was a super fast reply!

yeh i thought it would be a simple battery cable that attaches to the fuse box and the starter! i called the honda dealer and asked them about it and they said id have to get the entire wire harness. .\ /.;

do you have a part number or link to purchase that battery cable?

Thanks for your help! THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
joshik
Unregistered

when searching for a battery cable, it seems to only be available for 2002 and older models. did the 2003 have something new?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM

No, it shouldn't have... I couldn't find the cable through all of my other sources...

I think the one for a 98-02 accord at TAS Auto would work, but I'd need to double check first. It's $35.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

2002 & 2003 are very much different. I dont think the same cable will work.

Check out hondaautomotiveparts.com for some good parts drawings.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
joshik
Unregistered

ive checked the diagrams and they are hard to tell what is needed. all i can find is the "engine wire harness" which is about $300 which seems to connect to 1/2 of the engine! why would they make it so that you have to replace the entire engine harness when all that is broken is the cable that conncets from the +terminal to the starter. other than that, i see the "sub-wire starter" which is about $70.

i looked up for the 2002 accord and they have an expensive part called the "engine wire harness" which connects to 50 other things. however, under the 2002 accord "battery" section there is a part that goes from the +terminal to the starter/fuse box called "cable assy - starter".

When i look up the "batter" section for 2003 accord, it has what seems like a diagram of the part that connects to the +terminal but it is in its own box labeled "E7" and nothing under the parts listing.

this is the diagram for the "engine wire harness"
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgr y2=2003&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=EN GINE+WIRE+HARNESS+(L4)
part id# 2 is the "sub wire starter" which contains parts called "bolt & nut battery terminal" so is that the part that connects to the +terminal? this is what im thinking....so all i need to replace is the "sub wire starter".

i guess it would be easier if i just looked under the hood of a 2003 accord.

thanks for everyone's help!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

its def not the engine wiring harness, if you bought that you wouldnt even get the piece you are looking for. I would think the kit finch pointed out you could make work, Also I would think you could just figure out what gauge wire is needed and make your own.

And talk about a long distance relationship.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 PM
joshik
Unregistered

yeh i figured it wouldnt be the engine wire harness.

but what do you think about the part under "engine wire harness" called the "sub wire starter" . that seems like it would be the piece and its about $60-$90.

i was thinking i could just fab my own too. the one for the 2002 one i could easily fab...but the 2003 may seem a little more difficult if it is in fact the "sub wire starter" because it seems to have more connections.

yeh long distance sucks. i couldnt even help my gf when she was stranded when her car wouldnt start. i had to google tow places and shops near by for her.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM

Yeah, JimBlake, I know they're very different, but I couldn't find the part on any of the dealer parts sites like we usually use around here.

The wire you need is 4 ga. stranded copper wire. It wouldn't be that difficult to make, but I can never find any place that sells large gauge wire with small enough copper strands. Because shes so far away, Id think making it yourself is out of the question.

I'm still not finding anything whatsoever on replacement cables. I'd call the Honda dealer or try the TAS Auto one... install is fairly straight forward.

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord Engine Wire Harness Problems