General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord Horn Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Default 2003 Accord Horn Replacement

I have a 2003 V6 Accord Sedan. I am pretty sure one of the horns is not working. Horn sounds weak and seems like it is only coming from the passenger side. Can anyone steer me to a site or link that tells me how to access and replace the horns, what I need to order and whom best to order them from? Thanks, Dave

Old 09-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

There will be two horns mounted in front of the a/c condenser. You'll have to remove the plastic grill with the Honda logo. Each horn will be held in with one bolt and have one electrical connector.

You should test for voltage to each connector when the horn is pressed to verify the wiring is good before replacing the horn. Or use the working horn and plug it into the non-working horn to see if it still works.

Looks like the horns are available from Honda for about $30 each. I'm sure you can find aftermarket horns as well. Not sure about the quality of the aftermarket stuff.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 AM

Thank you both for your quick answers. Two quick questions.
1. Are the horns the same or do they have different pitches?
2. Can I temporarily disconnect the wires leading to the horns one at a time from a place that has easier access just to confirm that one of them is not working? This would be better than taking the car apart and finding out that they were both still working.
Thanks, Dave

Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

There is a high and low, so they have different pitches.

Here is video on taking off the bumper, but he shows the clips that would allow you to remove just the plastic piece with the Honda emblem. This will allow you easy access to the horns.

I'd unplug one at a time to figure out which one is not working. Once you find the non-working horn, you should be able to swap the working horn to the non-working horn's electrical connector. If the horn still works, then you know the electrical is working properly.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 AM

Thanks. Cheeze, that's an awful lot of work just to access the horns. Any chance of me getting the grill off without removing the bumper cover? Or maybe accessing from the top?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here is video on taking off the bumper, but he shows the clips that would allow you to remove just the plastic piece with the Honda emblem. This will allow you easy access to the horns.
You should only have to take of the plastic part holding the grill to the bumper not all the stuff shown in the video. Only video I could find on how to remove that part.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 AM

Ok. Thanks

Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Default Horn Problem

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a 2003 Accord EX V6 Sedan. I am nearly sure the driver's side horn doesn't work. Passenger side horn seem to work. So, before I order a new horn, I opened up the front, took out both horns, and put the working passenger horn into the driver's side (nothing in the passenger side). No horn. So I put it back in the passenger side (no driver's side horn in) and it doesn't work. So I put both horns in place but reversed. No horn. So I put them back into the original configuration and no horn. So far, mind you, I never ratcheted the horns back to the chassis. So I ratchet them back in the original configuration and the passenger side only works again, just like at the beginning. I don't get it. I know that the passenger horn and wiring works. I don't know if either the driver's horn or the wiring is good, right? So, by reversing them and getting no horn, it seems like both the driver's horn and the driver's wiring is no good, but that is not very likely, right? And why when I put them back in their original configuration but did not ratchet them back in place didn't at least the passenger side work? And then when I ratcheted them both back in, like at the beginning, the passenger side works. Do the horns have to be ratcheted into the chassis to work, maybe some sort of grounding?That, actually, is the most confusing part of the puzzle. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave