General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Honda Accord LX Not blowing air

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Default 2003 Honda Accord LX Not blowing air

Greetings all,

CAR: 2003 Honda Accord LX Sedan 4 cyl.

Here's the issue:
My fiance's car's A/C was working fine on her way to work and again at lunch, but then no air was blowing when she was on her way home. Not on heat and not on air conditiong. Not at all.

Since then I've checked the fuses (all were good) and bought a new blower motor (returned it since it was doing the same thing as the current motor).

FUSES: All the fuses were good, so I read more online and came to the conclusion that it was the blower motor.
BLOWER MOTOR: Switched the motor and it was doing the same thing as the original. When I go from IGNITION OFF to START (II), the Blower Motor jumps a quarter turn, but never comes on.

I've ruled out the resistor simply because none of the speeds work at all.

I've also performed the A/C Self Diagnostic which gave me 6 blinks which tells me I have an issue with the ECT (Electronic Coolant Temperature) Sensor.

Before I go out and buy this part and 'try it' out on the current ECT's (I saw there were two in this car), I wanted to know how this relates to the air not coming through the vents. I am a novice, but am a quick learner with a Chilton manual on hand.

Sidenote: When I turn on the car and press the button to turn on the A/C, both radiator fans turn on for about a second or two then right back off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think the blower control "resistor" isn't a resistor but a solid-state control for the motor speed. Just because you get no speeds at all I wouldn't rule that out.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Well I didn't technically rule it out but maybe more of an overlooking it simply because no one has that part in stock and I don't want to be set back $70 or so for several days just to have the wrong part again. The blower motor set me back about $150 for 3-4 days only to find out it was never that in the first place.

I actually wanted to try it out, but for monetary reasons don't want to unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm also wondering why the A/C self-diagnostic (that I found here might I add) is telling me the fault is at the ECT sensor.

I'm clueless.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'll try to remember to look up in the Helm book.

The AC is controlled through the ECU, so if the engine coolant is too hot it'll cut back the AC to avoid overheating the engine.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks I would appreciate that.

Would this apply to the blower as well meaning it would cut it off completely even if the A/C itself is not running?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Second thoughts... No I don't think that would apply to the blower. Just to the AC compressor.

Manual heater/AC? Or is it auto-climate-control?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm a little vague on what you mean, but my Fan is controlled through a dial and I press a bunch of buttons to turn on my AC with vent control, defrost, etc. I don't have a setting to turn to a temp and it adjusts itself if this is what you mean.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

That is what I mean. My daughter's 2003 LX was like yours. I wasn't sure if automatic climate-control was available that year on LX.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Ah okay. Glad we cleared that up.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I found a thread from a different forum where the blower motor stopped running, and sounds like the problem you are having. Their solution was to replace the blower resistor.

The temperature sensor might not be detecting the proper air temperature and setting the code 6. The PCM will shut down the a/c to prevent damage.

Look in your Chilton's manual to see if there is a test on the blower motor resistor. Let us know what the test tells you to do.

The resistor is simple to replace, and I would try to find one at a junkyard.

Quick Reply: 2003 Honda Accord LX Not blowing air