General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Honda Accord V6 alarm system problem

Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2003 Honda Accord V6 alarm system problem

Just bought a 2003 Honda Accord V6. It did not come with door key. They security alarm keeps going off and the lights will flicker / horn will sound off. Is there any way of temporarily getting through this? I don't want to do Anything that would keep things from screwing up ignition and such.
What are my safe alternatives? Can I bypass the alarm?
Car needs loads of work, but engine runs great.
Thanks y'all
whiskywaterwine

Old 05-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Is there something that is causing the alarm to go off, or does it go off randomly?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

every time I open the driver side door it goes off.
Again. I don't have the key to unlock the door. Only the key that starts the car from ignition key location. Just bought the car, loads of issues, but I'm on it.
I am tight on funds currently, and want to start with this issue.
Can I remove anything such as a fuse or anything simple like that?
Things will affect the ignition correct? Dont want to mess things up.
Working on getting factory repair manual asap.
Thanks PA

Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You have to get a key made to reset the alarm. You can save a few bucks by buying a Honda key online then going to the dealership to get it cut and programmed but the valet key will not reset the alarm only the fob key will. Until you get one you can unplug the horn but the lights will still flash

Old 05-09-2018, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

One or the other lock cylinder has been replaced, because it should be the same key as the ignition.

Maybe the door lock cylinder is just corroded from lack of use. (always using the remote, the door lock doesn't get used)

If the ignition lock cylinder has been replaced, maybe the car had once been stolen by ripping out the ignition lock cylinder? That might suggest other wiring hacks around the alarm.

For that matter, maybe it's an aftermarket alarm?

PS... just saw Sean's post.
The valet key will open the door without setting off the alarm. It won't open the trunk or the glovebox. At least for the 2003 Accord we used to have.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-09-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

The alarm will go off on my TSX if I use the key instead of the remote to disable the factory alarm. You may have to program a fob to disable.

I do not believe using the wrong key will cause this issue.

I don't have my shop manual on this computer, but I'll take a look to see if you can disable or reset that alarm.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If your key will only start the car then how do you unlock the door? If the keys are different then I think your issue lies with the key that did not come with the car. I'm assuming you have a factory alarm system with no aftermarket.

You need to first find out if you have an aftermarket alarm. If not you need to get a key fob made and programmed to your car. This will reset the alarm. When the key is made you need to match to the ignition. If the ignition key you have currently was a replacement (meaning the ignition assembly was replaced and came with a generic/valet key) then do not have the dealership make the key by the VIN. It might be best doing this at a locksmith because when they program the key to the computer they can also rekey the door lock to match the ignition key fob made.

If you have this done by the dealership with 2 different keys controlling the car they will want to change out everything (locks, ignition assembly and keys) to make sure it's done right and put in Honda system.

The above is only if you do not have an aftermarket in. I went through this with a friend of mine and luckily he just needed a key fob made and programmed. Cost him $180 at the dealership. But I had to first find out if the alarm was factory or not. If it's an aftermarket then it complicates things

A lot of people don't know the valet key has a transmitter chip inside to start the car. Your driver window switch is the part the key fob pairs with to unlock and disable the alarm so it's a 2 step programming process.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 05-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.