General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 honda ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Unhappy 2003 honda ignition

My ignition recently locked up on me. I can't turn the key but yet it goes in smoothly. Do I need to get a new ignition coil or switch. Is it a safety mechanism. I can't drive down to a mechanic cause it won't start. Key goes in buy won't turn, locked up on me. Any help please

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Try pushing in on the key while turning it, also try rocking the steering wheel left to right while turning and pushing in on the key. If nothing happens, then you might need a new ignition switch. Are you using the original factory key ?? Duplicates don't always want to work the ignition switch...Also try a short blast of WD 40 on the key, and insert it into the switch. My driver's side door lock was being stubborn and that solved it.

Last edited by bigpat; 09-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 PM

Thnx big pat. I tried all those tht u told me. I rocked da steering wheel bck n forth while Tryn to turn da key. Still got nothn, it was doin this to me for about a week n then it jst totally locked up all together. I even tried spraying wd 40. My nieghbor told me about tht. I'm using the spare key cause my original came apart frm da part tht opens n unlocks the car. The spare workd, cars been stuck all weekend.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

So your spare key is starting the car?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Pahonda. I've Ben using the original n the spare. Both have been wrkn. For the last week I've had to move the steering wheel bck n forth n turn da key, now it won't even turn. All the lights come on in da dash n the lil bell sounds Whn I put the key in. It goes in smoothly but doesn't turn

Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

The steering lock assembly may need to be replaced. Honda list price is around $275 (local dealerships many times mark-up over list) and internet Honda dealer discount is approximately $200 plus shipping.

Your car has the immobilizer; however, the portion with the chip that communicates with the Immobilizer transponder is removable from the key fob. So, it may be possible to change the steering lock assembly that comes with with new keys and then just swap the portion with the chip from the key fob.

Btw: Lock-Ease works better than WD-40 for key cylinders. Some people even claim that was the only thing that help them turn a frozen auto key cylinder.

agscompany.com/lubricants/homehardware/179

Attached Thumbnails 2003 honda ignition-steering-lock-assembly.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Except for the fact you've already tried spraying WD-40 in there, it sounds like a physical problem with the lock cylinder. Problems with the electrical part of the switch, or problems with the immobilizer, the key would still turn.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Check if your brake lights work when you push the brake pedal.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 PM

My brake lights work. Man this sucks, has any one experienced this to or is this the first. Been driving my cheverlegs all day. Don't really knw wht else to do except take every thing into consideration n try to fix it. Hope it sumthn simple n not so expensive.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Try checking with American Honda, you might be covered under the ignition switch interlock mechanism recall:

ahm-ownerlink.com/maintenance/IgnitionSwitch_recall.asp

Quick Reply: 2003 honda ignition