General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 v6 6-speed manual gearbox randomly shakes when switching from gears 1, 2, or 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 AM
d0n
Default 2003 v6 6-speed manual gearbox randomly shakes when switching from gears 1, 2, or 3

Hi guys,

I have a v6 2003 accord with approx. 150k miles on it. This issue has been happening for quite a while and it hasn't been getting better or worse.

Basically, sometimes when I switch gears the car starts shaking just as I am releasing the clutch and adding gas after I changed the gear.

1. I push down the clutch
2. i put the car in gear 1/2/3
3. i am releasing the clutch slowly, adding some gas, car vibrates
4. clutch is completely released even after shaking
5. everything is fine until I shift again

this happens only in gears 1-3 and only sometimes. I am not able to predict when it happens and when it doesn't.

Clutch was changed about 50k miles ago.

Please help].

For better illustration purposes, I am including a video from my dashcam where one can hear the sound a little bit. It happens in second 11 when I go into first gear right after my tires squeek a bit, but where it is most noticeable in the video is second 44 when I go into second after the car in front of me makes a sudden right turn.

Also, throughout the video one can see I have some other shaking going on. Noticeable past the 40 second mark for example. Any tips on how to find what that is? I wouldn't say it's related tio the main problem I write about. But now that I made the video, I thought I might as well ask about that one as well.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by d0n; 12-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Video is not much help to diagnose.

Clutch "shudder" or slippage during a shift is a symptom of a worn clutch disc and pressure plate. The clutch slips/grabs which causes vibration/noise. Solution is a new clutch.

As it progresses, the clutch may begin to slip under load (high gear, lower speed). When this condition is reached there may be no noise/vibration accompanying the condition.

A good mechanic will instantly recognize clutch shudder symptoms.

good luck

Old 12-31-2014, 06:13 PM
d0n

on another forum, a lot of members responded it could be the mounts. I had one of the mounts replaced, not sure exactly which one it is, this is the product description on my majestic honda invoice:

Product Number Description Quantity Unit Price Total Price
50830-SDP-A13 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING (MT) 1 $159.74 $159.74
Subtotal $159.74

I believe it is the front engine mount where the mechanic didn't have to take the engine out and was able to take it out by just removing the fan.

I know that when the mechanic took the old one out, the old one was basically in two pieces with the rubber torn (the new one was one piece), so I thought that would do the trick. Unfortunately I was wrong and it's still doing the vibration.
I can feel it in the cabin a lot.

The clutch was replaced not so long ago, I really hope that's not what it is. Thanks for the insight though

Old 01-01-2015, 06:52 AM

Check to see if the motor mount on the top passengers side (adjacent to the timing belt covers) is in good condition. Assuming it has the hydraulic style mount check for oil leaks. We have had a few cars in over the past year with horrible vibration issues due to that mount. I hope too that it ends up being a mount and not an issue with the clutch job that was done.