General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 accord metal grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Default 2004 accord metal grinding sound

I just got a 2004 accord coupe v6 6 speed 2 weekends ago. There is some sort of metal grinding sound coming from the front passenger side of the car where the belts are. I do not know know what the sound is coming from or what is causing it. The noise happens just above 2000 rpms and i am accelerating. The noise happens in every gear but it does not happen when i am just reving the car. When i coast at 2000rpms it doesn't happen but when i put my foot on the gas it happens. I searched around and read that it could be something with the brakes or the exhaust heat shield is loose. Any suggestions would be nice, so i can trouble shoot before i take it to a dealer and spend money to find out what is wrong. Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Its tough to figure out noises over the web. The heat shield would be more of a rattling or clanking sound. I would look at the front brake pads to see if they are worn down to the metal tab.

It could be any one of the pulleys or the component the pulley is part of. Possibly the CV joint or a wheel bearing.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Default Same issue...grinding but....

willowcairns, my 2007 Honda Accord six speed has the same issue, a grinding noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. At first I thought it was related to my transmissions since I thought it was only occuring in gear. I had a couple of excellent Honda Techs check it and couldn't identify it (said to just drive it till it became loud enough to pinpoint). This started at 58,000 miles and is still occuring 10,000 miles later....perhaps a bit louder but not much. But get this, it's not tied to my transmission but the throttle. After the visit to the dealership and driving home, I really reveved the engine at a stop light...OUT OF GEAR...and low and behold....the same grinding noise! The guys think it might be one of the pullies mounted on the side of the block...but so far it hasn't gotten worse or gone out.....but they are not sure exactly what is causing the grinding.... I hate the extra noise but can't justify taking about the car and that expense.... any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Look at the pulleys to see if one is wobbling when the engine is running.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I once had the accessory belt tensioner on a Suburban that would rattle badly at odd times. I could not trace noise until I finally had someone race the engine and let off, repeat and finally heard the rattle. A bit of using a flexible tube "stethoscope" confirmed the tensioner was rattling. Fix is not the tensioner, but the belt, which has stretched allowing tensioner to reach the stops and cause rattles.

It could also be a bad tensioner idler bearing. You'll have to remove the accessory belt to check for bearing roughness.

good luck

Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have this exact problem in my wife's 05 V6 sedan right now. Metal rattling sound when accelerating, but only from about 2000 to 2400 RPM. With the searching I've done, I'm nearly positive it's a loose heat shield on the catalytic converter. I just don't quite know how to go about fixing it. It's driving my wife nuts, who, in turn, is driving me nuts to fix it. Let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same for you!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM

It's a broken transmission bolt/rubber thing $200 fix

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by willowcairns
When i coast at 2000rpms it doesn't happen but
when i put my foot on the gas it happens.
to coast means to have the car moving and put the tranny in neutral
while it is still moving/rolls at any speed: 10 mph or 70 mph.

Is this what you mean by "coast?"

Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kovaly
It's a broken transmission bolt/rubber thing $200 fix
This was actually not the problem but something i got fixed. Turned out it was a heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Close to the engine behind the radiator. Just bent it away from the pipe with a pry bar and noise is gone.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Kovaly
I had the same problem and the noise stopped when i fixed it.

What a classy response! I'm going to remember this -
and use it freely, if you don't mind.