General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding sound from rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Default Grinding sound from rear

I have a 2007 honda accord sedan. I had the front & rear brakes replaced a little more than a year ago. I noticed today that while stopped at a few traffic lights, while releasing the brake and before pressing the gas, there seemed to be a griding sound coming from the rear. I also noticed this while parked and pumping the break pedal a few times.

My wife thinks something was stuck causing the sound. I have not had it reoccur after it happened a few times. I'm going to keep my ears open for when it happens again.

I was fortunate enough to record it. Do you know what this sound could be? It sounds like a docked boat.

Listen here:

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Might be me but I couldn't hear anything....I mean nothing, like the sound was off.

I'd inspect the rear brakes ASAP, if that is the issue you want to catch it before damage (rotors, ect) is done to other things.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

I heard the sound but couldn't identify it. Poorman, check your sound, speakers, etc, because there IS a sound.

I had expected to hear something like rusty brake rotors; the grinding sound when you apply brakes on rusty rotors just barely rolling. But this sound is different & I can't really recognize it.

Sure wouldn't hurt to inspect the rear brakes anyway. Even simply jacking up the rear corners & spinning the wheels to see if they're making noise.

Can I assume this is an automatic transmission and the car is actually moving a couple inches while making the sound? Does it make the sound when the transmission is in PARK & you do the same thing with the brake pedal? How about right after turning off the engine? How about after the engine has been turned off for hours?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM

It is automatic transmission and the car was moving ever so slightly when the noise was made. It did make the sound while I was in park and pressing the brake pedal.

It has not made the sound since this 1 day it happened.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

you could pull the wheels and do a visual inspection. brakes sometimes make noise, that's the nature of them...if i had a nickel for every brake noise a customer wanted me to chase. anywho, wouldn't worry about it till it comes back more consistently or all the time...my .02 cents.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I once had a really horrible strange sound that lasted a short time. Turned out a small pebble had gotten stuck between the brake rotor & the sheetmetal backing plate. Then it worked out & no more noise.