General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Accord radiator issue

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Default 2004 Accord radiator issue

Several days ago I noticed that the radiator fan was staying on for a few minutes after I turned the car off. I didn't have a chance to look into right away, yesterday my car began to overheat. When I opened the hood I could see coolant spraying from the area where the upper hose connects to the radiator. I've checked the hose and I don't see any corrosion, holes or tears and the clamp seemed tight so that leaves me with 2 questions:

Is the issue with the fan causing the leak in some way or is the leak causing the fan to continue to run to cool?

Do I need to replace the radiator or is there some other fix I can try?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

fan is out of the question, your car is overheating and the fans are compensating, you need to start by doing a pressure test on the cooling system, should be like 16 lbs of pressure and watch to see if it drops and if it does grab a light a find where its dripping. have u had any work done to the car that involve draining or removing any of the coolant parts, if so may need to be burped, could have a air pocket. you may need new upper and lower radiator hoses and clamps, over time they loose there stiffness and become cracked and weak, more likley where the clamps are, seens how thats where alot of the pressure is on the hose.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I think 2 different problems. Fan running after engine shut off and the coolant leak.

Your car should NOT have any circuit that allows the fan to run after the ignition switch is turned off. That business with the fan-timer and 2 different fan switches was only in older cars. Look for a fan relay that's sticking closed or something like that.

Pressure-test the cooling system and find the leak, like 5.56 said. If the hose-nozzle on the radiator is OK, then look at the hose itself delaminating? Or a messed-up hose clamp?

Hondas don't like air pockets in the cooling system. Bleeding out the air is different for 4-cyl or V-6 engines. What do you have?