General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator problems (blown radiator seal?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Default Radiator problems (blown radiator seal?)

Let me start by saying I'm not much of a mechanic, so many of the terms I use will likely sound idiotic, and just plain wrong to "car guys".

I've been driving my '92 Accord without much thought to coolant level or engine temperature, but last (warm and humid) night, we were driving to the park on surface streets about 12 miles away with the a.c. on, when about 3/4 way there we smell something odd, and notice the temp in the red. I, the complete moron, thought that maybe the temp gauge didn't work (like its neighbor, fuel gauge) and that we were smelling the bus in front of us, so we continued to our destination..... almost! All of a sudden, we see steam spew dramatically out from under the right side of the hood and liquid (coolant, I assume) sprays the right side of the windshield. We were able to coast/push it to the parking lot nearby.

After letting it cool down for a while, we drove to a nearby gas station, about a 1/2 mile away, and it had already began to overheat. We added a gallon of pre-diluted coolant, and after letting it cool down again, we drove home, without overheating, but it seemed to be bubbling, steaming, and leaking a bit when we parked.

So now I notice the little seal/gasket thing that appears to be out of place (see photo). What is this? Is it a part that can be replaced, or is it the end of my radiator? Any help would be appreciated.

https://i.imgur.com/xiLcI1A.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BucTazl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kfQhGNC.jpg

Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

The radiator needs replaced. That seal is not replaceable.

FYI, when you see the needle in the red, turn on the heat full blast. This helps cool the engine and prevent engine damage.

It is possible that the head gasket got damaged. The cooling system will have to be repaired first.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 AM

oof that's rough. Isn't that cap supposed to blow first?
Then again, the top coupling on my radiator decided to literally explode a while back. I tried to JBweld it, no joy there. Had to replace it too. Was lucky enough to have a girlfriend with a truck at the time, flat towed it the five miles back to my house. I will have an aluminum radiator someday.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The radiator needs replaced. That seal is not replaceable.

FYI, when you see the needle in the red, turn on the heat full blast. This helps cool the engine and prevent engine damage.

It is possible that the head gasket got damaged. The cooling system will have to be repaired first.
That's what I was afraid of.
If my head gasket was damaged, would my car still be running right now? If it was, I would basically have coolant in my oil, or vice/versa, right?

Originally Posted by kayweb
oof that's rough. Isn't that cap supposed to blow first?
Then again, the top coupling on my radiator decided to literally explode a while back. I tried to JBweld it, no joy there. Had to replace it too. Was lucky enough to have a girlfriend with a truck at the time, flat towed it the five miles back to my house. I will have an aluminum radiator someday.
Haha, yeah. People kept asking me, "Check this hose, and then the cap, and...", and I tried to tell them it's not a hose, I can literally look into the radiator, and the cap is still on! lol
It serves me right for not respecting the health of my vehicle.
Luckily, a new radiator for my vehicle is supposedly only about $100, and I've got a buddy who said he would put it in for $50.

To add insult to injury in this whole deal, I was driving it up to the store yesterday, and the window wouldn't roll up.
It may be time for a new vehicle.

Thank you both for your reply, btw.