General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown oil seal, but oil light never came on

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Blown oil seal, but oil light never came on

A few weeks ago, my balance shaft seal popped out of the block while i was warming it up before leaving work (10 degrees out that night)
I pulled out of the parking lot, engine sounded normal, and a coworker called me a minute later telling me I had left a puddle. All the oil drained out in 15-20 minutes, but the low pressure light never came on. Took about half a bag of quick dry to cover the spill.

My car is stock, but I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to install an oil pressure gauge in-line with the oil pressure switch.

(Seal popped due to a lack of a balance shaft seal retainer)

Attached Thumbnails Blown oil seal, but oil light never came on-oil-leak-463x620-.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

EDIT: The most important thing to do is to fix that oil leak. If the front balance shaft seal came loose, there is a retainer kit that all dealers stock. This is to prevent that seal from popping out. I think there was a recall on this. If the timing belt is soaked in oil, you should replace the timing belt.

The oil pressure sending unit is an on/off switch. Once the pressure gets below a set point, the oil pressure light turns on. It does not measure oil level.

I had an oil leak, and the oil pressure light turned on with about 1.5 quarts of oil left.

When the car is turned off, turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. See if the oil pressure light turns on for the bulb check.

If that light turns on, I would replace the oil pressure sending unit. It costs less than $20 and is not too bad to install.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Installed the seal, retainer, water pump, and thermostat already. I'm waiting on the dealer to get the spring tensioners in, and then I can put the new belts on. If I remember correctly, the light did pop on that night when I started it, so the bulb is working. I have a new unit to put in (I looked at the old one and there was fresh oil on it, so I decided to replace it anyway) but I need to pick up a larger socket to remove the old one.

I was wondering about an auxiliary gauge, in addition to the standard light, so that if another seal blows down the road, I'll know sooner than when it hits the stock low pressure warning.

the new switch I have says its for 6lb +/- 3lb. (3-9lbs it will turn on) that seems risky since I leave work around 1 or 2 in the morning, and live 20mi down the highway.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

You can "tee" in a mechanical gauge with tubing and all if that is what you want. Again as you already pointed out, ~10 psi after warm up at idle is normal.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, wasn't sure if putting a t juncture would disrupt the stock pressure reading

Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Using a tee won't disrupt the pressure measurement. But you will have to be careful about mounting it.

The sensor will sit farther out, and it's weight is out on the end of whatever length tubing, tee, etc. As the engine vibrates, you'll want to give that thing some additional support so it doesn't break off.