General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Front Main Oil Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Default Blown Front Main Oil Seal?

My daughter has a 2000 Accord 4-cyl with 150k miles. She mentioned she saw oil under the car this morning. Not only did I see a fairly large mess under the driver's side, there was no oil measuring on the dip stick
It seems to me that all of the oil is coming from the front main seal under the timing belt cover. She checked the oil last week and it was fine; also no oil leaks on her mom's driveway. So, it seems like something gave way in just the last 24hrs.
Will a main seal fail that dramatically? Plenty of posts about small leaks. I'm pulling the timing cover now, but hope someone can give me advice/ past experience.

thx,
Brian

Old 02-23-2014, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely the leak is from the balancer shaft seal.

The seal will need to be replaced. The timing belt and balancer belt should probably be replaced too due to oil probably on them. Honda sells a balancer shaft seal retainer too.

Bernard's Blog: Honda Balance Shaft Seal Pop Out

Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

There are few other threads too; but, here is one:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...se-help-37629/

Honda sells a slight different seal retainer for the 6th generation Accord 4 cylinders compared to the 5th generation Accord 4 cylinder.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM

You called it! The front balancer shaft seal is just sitting on the shaft. Oil is EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure how much damage has been caused to the engine running on low/no oil, but my daughter said she didn't notice the engine getting hot. Is there a low oil pressure light on a 2000 Accord?
I'll go research the link you sent Redbull.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM

All right, there's definitely NOT a seal retaining clip on the car. I'm going to pick up new belts, a front balancer seal and retainer. I'd rather not touch the other seals right now; thoughts?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

There is a low oil pressure light on the car.

As long as the car was not driven too long with the low oil, it should be okay. I know someone with a 6th generation Accord 4 cylinder where it happened and they had to tow the car in to change the seal and timing belt, etc. They were fine afterward for years. I was shown pictures of the trail of oil with the car being towed up the flatbed.

I knew what it was before he even began his story.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Honda only sold the retainer later, it didn't come with the cars.

The balancer shaft seal is usually the only seal that will cause such a major (and fast) engine oil leak. Other seals may eventually leak; but, not at the same rate like the balancer seal. You probably can just replace that seal, install a retainer, change the belts since they may have oil all over them. You may also want to change the water pump if you change the timing belt.

Last edited by redbull-1; 02-23-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added info.