General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Front Turn Indicator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2004 Front Turn Indicator Problem

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I did some searching and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Yesterday, I replaced the headlights in my 2004 Accord. Real PITA. Had to drop the front apron, etc., etc. I've had the replacements for about 2 years. Anyway, I tested the low/high beams before putting everything back together ... but ... didn't think to test the turn indicators. Tonight, I drove to the store and the lights work beautifully but the front turn indicators don't work and the rears flash really fast. I get clicking sound and the inside indicator arrows flash. I get continuous light from the turn indicator area of the headlight, but no flashing with the switch engaged.

I figure maybe a bulb (or two) might be the culprit. I'm wondering if the replacements came with the correct bulbs installed? Of course, the trash came today and I went and threw the old headlights away without retrieving the bulbs first (damn).

Anyway, I'm open to advice but I'm also interested in how to replace these. Do I have to drop the whole front end again? Do they twist out? Not much room to get in there. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to look at the owner's manual to see if it shows how to change the bulbs.

I think that you have to remove the front fender plastic splash guard to get to those bulbs, but I could definitely be wrong.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You might want to look at the owner's manual to see if it shows how to change the bulbs.

I think that you have to remove the front fender plastic splash guard to get to those bulbs, but I could definitely be wrong.
That is how I replaced my headlights (not the highbeams). It is the suggested method in the 2005 manual.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fortunately, much easier to remove

Well, fortunately the bulbs just twist out of the headlight housing. I found that out by watching this:

How To Install Replace Headlight Honda Accord 03-07 - 1AAuto.com - YouTube

Are you kidding me! I found that AFTER figuring it out on my own. Wish I'd seen this first. Anyway, the guy actually twists out the turn indicator bulbs in the video (wish I'd kept mine from the originals ... would eliminate a bad socket for sure).

You have to remove the battery to get to the driver side bulbs. What I found out was the passenger side bulb is marked:

1157ALF
S4A 5K8

and the drivers' side (along with some Japanese lettering):

1157 12V27/8W

I'm sort of hoping the driver's side bulb is the culprit here. I'm going to look for a pair of 1157A bulbs (I think that's the correct part). If not, I'm not sure what it might be (flasher, maybe?). One of the connectors seemed a bit loose. Now the front indicators flash but they're still really fast.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default No joy

Anyway, got two new bulbs (1157 ALL) from Advance Auto Parts and still have the same problem. As near as I can tell, all external lights of any kind are working and all indicators are flashing but they're flashing really fast. Didn't have the problem prior to replaced the headlight (wish I'd kept the doggone original parts too). The hazard lights flash, and don't seem to be too fast. I'm still thinking relay now, but I'm open to any ideas/advice.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is the "fast" turn signal only on one side....meaning fine turning right but fast when turning left...or signaling I should say..... I think these have a turn signal "in" the headlight? Turn the hazard lights on and inspect the lights....especially the side you changed the headlight on.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Is the "fast" turn signal only on one side....meaning fine turning right but fast when turning left...or signaling I should say..... I think these have a turn signal "in" the headlight? Turn the hazard lights on and inspect the lights....especially the side you changed the headlight on.
Thanks. Fast signal is both sides/front back. I had no issues prior to changing the headlights. After changing >>> fast turn signals. Hazard seems to flash at a "normal" rate. I swapped the front indicators for a matched pair of new bulbs and they're still fast. Unfortunately, I removed the old headlights, bulbs and all, and replaced with the new headlights with all new bulbs ... and then ... threw the old ones away (so I can't put those old bulbs in to see if that "fixes" the problem) . Everything plugged right in easily and as if from the factory. I was wondering if it could even be a socket issue, but alas, I can't check that now since I threw away the old ones. I have a turn signal relay on order through Auto Zone that I can pick up today. Gonna try that, unless someone has some ideas to try here.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

There are three bulbs in the headlight assy.....low beam head, high beam head AND a turn signal bulb.......

Old 12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
There are three bulbs in the headlight assy.....low beam head, high beam head AND a turn signal bulb.......
Indeed. The replacement headlights came with all three bulbs new. Since the two front turn signal bulbs were not from the same manufacturer, I took a shot that it was somehow causing the problem. Are you saying the high and low beams can somehow cause this problem?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

No, I just wanted to be sure the turn signal bulbs in the headlight assy were not the issue...since this did start just after replacing them. Like the connector not being all the way in ect.

Quick Reply: 2004 Front Turn Indicator Problem