General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Front Turn Indicator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
No, I just wanted to be sure the turn signal bulbs in the headlight assy were not the issue...since this did start just after replacing them. Like the connector not being all the way in ect.
Yep. Started right after replacing the headlights. At first, the driver side turn signal connector did look like it wasn't pressed in all the way.

I'm really stumped now. I just replaced the relay and still have the same problem. So, since replacing the headlights I double checked the connections to the turn signal bulbs, replaced the front turn signal bulbs, and replaced the turn signal relay. All turn signals light/flash (front and rear), but at a much faster than normal rate. Flashing with the hazard switched engaged seems to be at a normal rate. Got no clue what to do next.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Turn on the hazard lights and see which bulbs (if any) are not working. The hazard and turn signals use the same bulbs.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Turn on the hazard lights and see which bulbs (if any) are not working. The hazard and turn signals use the same bulbs.
Looks like all 4 are working - amber light flashing on both sides, front and back. Is there anything special about the factory turn signal sockets that could be missing with these replacements? Got three wires to each and they appear to be properly keyed for the pins on the bulb. Damn.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Finally Fixed!

I finally determined the cause of my rapidly flashing turn indicators. The Turn Indicator sockets in the replacement headlight assemblies are wired backwards.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to tackle this again and noticed that the amber light element that was always burning along with the headlight was very bright and the flashing element within the same bulb was much dimmer. Essentially, you couldn't even see it flashing. I reasoned that the wrong element may be flashing and the wrong element constantly burning. I tested the theory today with jumpers and that was, in fact, the case. When I swapped them, the bright element flashed and the speed of flashing was normal (i.e. not the really fast flashing that's been happing since I replaced the headlight assemblies). Fortunately, the pins in the wiring harness connectors are easy to swap so I swapped those and wrote down the change for future reference.

I purchased the headlight assemblies from Speedy Car Parts in April of 2010 (yea, took me that long to replace them), part numbers H100123 & H100124. I'll probably send them an e-mail, informing them of the problem. It's an easy fix, but took a good bit of time and frustration to resolve.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear you got it.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 PM

WOW thank you I was searching forever about this! Been dealing with this problem for a year hah. My issue started when I got the new headlights from RockAuto.com

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 PM

You're lifesaver...I've been trying to fix this for a couple months and been listening to a nagging wife, saying "you don't know how to replace a bulb". She just didn't get it and I couldn't figure out the issue (thought it was the wattage difference between original and new bulb)

Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Good stuff!!

Glad it helped. Talk about a frustrating problem!!!

Originally Posted by Shill13
You're lifesaver...I've been trying to fix this for a couple months and been listening to a nagging wife, saying "you don't know how to replace a bulb". She just didn't get it and I couldn't figure out the issue (thought it was the wattage difference between original and new bulb)