General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord LX 4CYL does not turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord LX 4CYL does not turn over.

Hello

2004 HondaAccordLX 4CYL does not turn over.

The symptons were there couple of months ago. The car ,at times, would crank slowly, like the battery was dying. I would wait a minute and the auto would start up. I let the car sit over the weekend and it again cranked slowly, like the battery was dying, I waited a minute to try to restart, but only heard clicking

So I checked the battery terminals which were all fine, as well as the ground to the body. Then I proceeded to jump the car, but it would not start. The battery was fully charged at 12.6 volts. The correct size battery is installed in the vehicle

My next step was to check the starter. I removed the starter took it to Autozone and it check out okay.

Is there a relay I should check? I am basically stumped and need to know what would be the next step in the diagnoses process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have an 04 manual to look at, but my 05 Acura TSX is very similar.

I would look for the signal to the starter. On my car, there is a starter cut relay in the under dash fuse box. You might want to find a relay that is identical to the starter cut relay that is not important for the car to run (maybe power window relay is the same?) and switch them. See if the windows or the starter work properly.

Take a look at the fuse/relay diagrams in your owner's manual to see if/where the relay is located, because this is based off of my 05 Acura TSX (sports version of a Honda Accord).

Old 09-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bcasey
Hello

2004 HondaAccordLX 4CYL does not turn over.

The symptons were there couple of months ago. The car ,at times, would crank slowly, like the battery was dying. I would wait a minute and the auto would start up. I let the car sit over the weekend and it again cranked slowly, like the battery was dying, I waited a minute to try to restart, but only heard clicking

So I checked the battery terminals which were all fine, as well as the ground to the body. Then I proceeded to jump the car, but it would not start. The battery was fully charged at 12.6 volts. The correct size battery is installed in the vehicle

My next step was to check the starter. I removed the starter took it to Autozone and it check out okay.

Is there a relay I should check? I am basically stumped and need to know what would be the next step in the diagnoses process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi there, my 2004 Accord is doing the exact thing today. It was starting lazily and not won't start at all. The battery is fine at 12.8 volts and a jumpstart from another car did not even turn the starter motor.

Is there a way to test the starter or should I look at at a specific fuse or relay first?

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a volt meter, see if the small wire going to the starter gets 12V to ground when you turn the key to start the car.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

"starting lazily" sounds like maybe the starter was cranking too slow?

Test the battery under load (take to someplace like A-Zone or Advance). Bad battery can put out 12v with a simple voltmeter, but drop down to 7 or 8 as soon as you try to run the starter.

And don't forget to rule out bad connections (dirty/loose/corroded) on both ends of battery cables.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Default what happened

i am running into the same situation that this guy is... good battery, good starter, but it wont turn my engine... not even with a jump start...

Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Bad connection at the other end of one (or both) battery cables?

Why do you think the battery is good? Has it been tested under load?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Default Solved- false test results on starter

Sorry I have not posted a reply to my solution sooner. The problem ultimately proved to be the stater. After performing an exercise in futility, (pulling the starter, to have it test okay at Autozone, and putting the same starter back in)
I had the vehicle towed to a mechanic, and it turned out to be the starter. My recommendation is to get the starter tested again by another source.

Hope this helps

Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

bench testing these starters is a crapshoot at best...when your 03-07 4cylinder automatic starts slow or not at all and the battery checks out, replace the starter...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM

if ur cranks were getting slower etc... i would suggest doing a tune up if you havnt already. change out the spark plugs/wires/dis cap/rotor

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Accord LX 4CYL does not turn over.