General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord door lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Default 2004 Honda Accord door lock issues

I have a 2004 Honda Accord and I am having trouble with the driver side door lock using the key fob. The key fob works, it will lock the 3 other doors but not the driver side door. The panic button works and also works to open the trunk. So I don't think the issue is with the key fob but could be wrong, the lights flash on the car when I hit the lock or unlock button on the key fob.

With all the doors unlocked, the key fob will lock 3 of the doors but not the driver side door. When all 4 doors are locked, the key fob will not unlock any of them. I am thinking it is the locking mechanism. When I use the key to unlock it, I have to kind of wiggle it to get it to go in the key hole just right before it will unlock it.

How big of a job is it to replace the locking mechanism? Or is it just possible that it needs to be oiled?

TYIA

Last edited by Weathered; 12-18-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:09 AM

If you are going to take the side panels off and get at far as the locking mechanism, I would recommend just replacing the unit, rather than oil it, etc...

I would say it is a so-so job. I'd rather do it myself than pay a shop to do this.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM

If the unit does need replacing, would the replacement come with a key fob?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

No the key fob does not come with the locking mechanism. You have 4 parts for the lock. The fob, the module (the master lock and window buttons located on the drivers door), the locking mechanism (sits behind the door panel which actually locks and unlocks) and the lock actuator (which is black and receives the signal opening the mechanism). All are sold separately.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 12-19-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
No the key fob does not come with the locking mechanism. You have 4 parts for the lock. The fob, the module (the master lock and window buttons located on the drivers door), the locking mechanism (sits behind the door panel which actually locks and unlocks) and the lock actuator (which is black and receives the signal opening the mechanism). All are sold separately.
So it's possible that the issue is with the lock actuator? Although I believe there is a problem with the mechanism, when I insert the key to unlock it, I have to kind of wiggle it a bit to get it in the right spot. If the locking mechanism gets replaced, it would require a different key, right?

And when programming a key fob, do I need 2 keys to do that? That is what it sounds like on the directions I found, one key in ignition and the fob you are programming.

Last edited by Weathered; 12-20-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Seems likely that it's the actuator, just the electric part that operates the lock. No need for a different key.

Also sounds like the lock cylinder may need some lubrication or something. You can try working in some graphite lube but that's a separate thing from the non-working actuator. If you give up on doing that yourself, try a locksmith to see if he can do something while keeping the same key.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Programming will work while the key is in the ignition. One has nothing to do with the other. If you only have one key then still use the same programming instructions

Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Try spraying some WD-40 into the mechanical lock where you insert the key by the driver's door handle. See if that frees up the key when you turn.

If the FOB is locking/unlocking other doors, that is not the problem.

Do you have the same locking/unlocking problems when you are able to turn the key in the driver's door? How about with the interior lock/unlock button?

Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Try spraying some WD-40 into the mechanical lock where you insert the key by the driver's door handle. See if that frees up the key when you turn.

If the FOB is locking/unlocking other doors, that is not the problem.

Do you have the same locking/unlocking problems when you are able to turn the key in the driver's door? How about with the interior lock/unlock button?
Same questions as above.
How long have you owned this honda? has it ever worked correctly before? I just want to make sure that you know about pressing the unlock button twice if you want to unlock all 4 doors. Did you pop out one of the door inside panels before this happens?

Last edited by Celicool; 12-21-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Celicool
I just want to make sure that you know about pressing the unlock button twice if you want to unlock all 4 doors.
This is a mute issue since the OP is having issues with the driver door not any of the passenger doors. We know the fob is not having an issue since it's unlocking the other doors.

When you hit the key fob you should at least hear the driver door attempting to lock or unlock. We know the unlocking portion kinda of works because you are unlocking it. If you do not get eyes on what's happening you will not figure this out. You are going to have to take the door panel off and attempt to unlock with the fob to see what's going on.

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Accord door lock issues