General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 honda accord radiator coolant fan not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM

Hi, I recently bought an '04 Accord EX V6 Sedan automatic for my daughter before she heads off to college next fall. Have some work to do on it over the winter. I came across this thread and is having similar issue with radiator fan not coming on after car idled for more than 5 mins. Temp needle is near middle, but not going past it. I noticed the diagram you provided for the 4 cylinder and I was wondering if you can provide some assistance and guide me through what could be the problem with my V6. Thank you!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

First thing I would do is turn on the AC - assuming it is working - do BOTH fans come on?

Next, at idle for only five minutes and the temp needle/gauge is sitting at half.....the fans are not going to come on. Just me but the OP (original poster) had another issue as their temp gauge would rise to the "HOT".

A cooling system in good order on one of these can idle for 20 minutes or more before the temp rises to a point where the fans will be "turned on".

I've got an old 3rd gen (89 Accord) that I crank up at least once or twice a month and that thing can sit there and idle for 20-30 minutes before the fans cycle - of course you have to keep an eye on the temp gauge and never let it go much more than "half" as that is a sign of a cooling system problem - leak, low coolant, thermostat, sensors/switches, ect.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:40 PM
Default Both fans not working

While driving recently I had a socket fly through both radiator and ac condenser and break two fan blades on passenger side fan. We replaced all 3 with like new parts from LKQ. Once all was replaced both passenger and driver side fans wont work. Changed the fan switch and both relays under hood fans still wont work. Jumping power at fan switch both fans work, also jumping at relays both fans work but when everything is plugged in as it needs to be they will not work. Im lost as to what could be the problem now. 2004 Honda Accord 2.4L Vtech. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 🙏

Old 08-16-2022, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Where is the fan switch located that you replaced?

Is the temperature gauge moving towards hot without the fans turning on?

If you start the engine and turn on the a/c, do either (or both) radiator fans turn on?

Old 08-17-2022, 09:06 AM

Fan switch that was replaced is located at bottom of radiator.

Temp guage runs normal while idle. Once the heat guage got above normal(above 50% of guage) neither fan would come on.

Starting engine and turning on a/c neither fan comes on.

Also changed both relays yesterday just in case. Still nothing.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the electrical connector to the radiator fan switch on the radiator. Use a volt meter to verify you have 12V on the green wire. You can also jump the electrical connector with a piece of wire with the key in the II position and the fans should turn on.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Unplug the electrical connector to the radiator fan switch on the radiator. Use a volt meter to verify you have 12V on the green wire. You can also jump the electrical connector with a piece of wire with the key in the II position and the fans should turn on.
I have completed this action by jumping with a piece of wire and fans will come. I have also jumped at the relays and the fans will come on.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is your a/c system charged with R-134a? Where and what brand part did you use to replace the fan switch?

Old 08-17-2022, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is your a/c system charged with R-134a? Where and what brand part did you use to replace the fan switch?

It was originally. Would it need to be recharged after changing condenser, radiator, and fan assembly especially since a hole was blown through original parts while driving and ac running?

Switch was replaced with part number MP I 2-8506 from O'Reillys

Old 08-17-2022, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

You either got a bad new switch from O'Reillys or the switch doesn't close at the proper coolant temperature to turn on the fans. If you have your original sensor and it wasn't damaged, then reinstall. If not, I'd spend the extra money on a Honda switch.

The reason the a/c isn't turning on the fans is the a/c system is discharged, so the pressure switch is not close and is disabling the a/c system. Evacuating the a/c system with a new desiccant bag (since the system was open) should fix the problem.

Quick Reply: 2004 honda accord radiator coolant fan not turning on