General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 honda accord radiator coolant fan not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You either got a bad new switch from O'Reillys or the switch doesn't close at the proper coolant temperature to turn on the fans. If you have your original sensor and it wasn't damaged, then reinstall. If not, I'd spend the extra money on a Honda switch.

The reason the a/c isn't turning on the fans is the a/c system is discharged, so the pressure switch is not close and is disabling the a/c system. Evacuating the a/c system with a new desiccant bag (since the system was open) should fix the problem.
I was thinking it might have been a faulty switch. So you're saying I should change the receiver drier correct?

Old 08-18-2022, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Since your a/c system was open, I'd change every o-ring in the system and the receiver/dryer. Button up the system, make sure it holds vacuum, then recharge. The system should be in good shape from a leak standpoint for a long time.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:36 AM

Since your a/c system was open, I'd change every o-ring in the system and the receiver/dryer. Button up the system, make sure it holds vacuum, then recharge. The system should be in good shape from a leak standpoint for a long time.
Purchased the replacement part this morning, plan on completing the work this weekend. Will keep you all posted. Thank you so much for all of the help so far!! Will be sure to post results after the weekend.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Default Fans are now working

I just want to say thank you so so much PAhonda!! With your help and advice both fans are working and A/C is working great! I did exactly what you said nothing more!! This has been the most help I've ever received. I couldn't have done it myseld with out your help!!

Old 08-24-2022, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the results and glad you got it fixed.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:36 AM
Default Cooling fan not working

Let me jump in this old thread and see if I can get some of that knowledge you guys have for my cooling fan not working.

2004 Accord EX sedan 4 cyl

Both fans come on with the windshield defrost setting and a/c setting. The radiator cooling fan isn't coming on by itself though. Let it warm up for about 20 minutes. Checked all the fuses, jumped the relay and fan comes on fine. The car is not overheating, it's sitting at normal temperature after it warms up without turning the a/c or defrost on to kick on both fans. Normal heat and it sounds like the thermostat/heater core is opening when turned from cold to hot.

In other words, the car seems to be operating normally, great heat and great a/c, just the radiator cooling fan isn't cutting on alone. Is it just not getting hot enough? It's strange that both fans operate when the a/c or defrost is on and everything is running fine and no over temp. I'm scratching my head. Thanks in advance for any guidance!